From:
Scott Sinclair <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 19:11:03 EST
Putorius here: I wish to respond to the latest goings on in the Great State
of Repression...aka..CA.

I can't stress enough that ferret lovers everywhere, ESPECIALLY in CA must
roll out a truly GRASSROOTS movement in order to get the Fish and Game
Commission to agree that the DOMESTIC ferret is just that and then begin
the process to de-list the critter from the states restricted wildlife
list.

This is going to take a MASSIVE outpouring of letters/faxes etc. to the
California Fish and Game Commission and it must be done in the next 6
weeks.  Ferretnews posted an excellent article that contains many talking
points that you can use in your correspondence.  There is no reason to
keep the animal on the restricted wildlife list and the Commission has the
AUTHORITY to begin to de-list it.  They need to be told that the DOMESTIC
ferret is just that and that it is commonly domesticated.  Ferretnews
talking points about domestic listings by the American Museum of Natural
History and the Smithsonian (as well as 150 or so other esteemed
institutions) is spot on.

They also need to be told that the DOMESTIC ferret is no threat to native
wildlife, agriculture or human health.  The Audubon Society (largely
responsible for the new Clinton Roadless plan for public lands) has lobbied
strongly in the past as has the Sierra Club (not our friends) and the
California Farm Bureau.  Fish and Games own nationwide survey backs up our
position on this and perhaps this is why it was supressed from the public.
It shows without a doubt that the DOMESTIC ferret is in fact the safest pet
for the environment...far safer than the dog or cat.

Pick your talking points...be courteous but firm in your wording and
PLEASE oh PLEASE get all your friends, co-workers and relatives to send
in letters/faxes as well.  WE CAN DO THIS TOGETHER...please realize that
at the F&G Comm hearing in Long Beach only 4 letters were read into the
record.  And now they are moving the meeting to Sacramento to try and
finish the ferret legalization movement off once and for all.  This is
UNACCEPTABLE.  YOU MUST become involved, especially if you live in
California.

Please write your letters/send your faxes...OR BOTH Immediately to:
California Fish and Game Commission, 1416 9th St., Sacramento CA
94244-4899.  The desk phone is 916.653.7664 and the FX (I believe) is
916.653.4899.  I could have the numbers reversed but you can figure that
one out if you get a screeching in your ear!!!

Thanks for your support folks...YOU have the power to change the ridiculous
situation in California, a situation that now has Pat Wright in jail for 45
days.

Putorius