From:
Mary McCarty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 2005 14:27:38 -0700
>To my knowledge this is incorrect.  I believe the Avecon ELISA test
>looks for recombinant protein produced as the antibodies are formed.
>I was told the test would work as early as 6 weeks.  I have found the
>ALISA test picks up Aleutian Disease much earlier than the CIEP test.
>It may be worth checking this with Dr Stephon at Avecon.

Dr Stephon told me that the earliest the Avecon test was valid for was
12 - 14 weeks of age.  This was about 2 - 2.5 years ago, has something
changed since to make it work earlier?

My personal experience is that CIEP picks up ADV sooner than Avecon,
based on ADV positive ferrets that tested negative on Avecon (instant
and send-in saliva) while testing positive with United.

I personally think that alternating tests is your best bet.  My kids get
tested with United once a year and then random checks with Avecon (send
in saliva) the rest of the time (i.e. shows, etc.).

Mary

Novel Beginnings Ferretry
http://www.geocities.com/novelbeginnings/