From:
Dale Nupp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 03:48:16 -0400
Greg wrote:
>I seem to find a HUGE number of ferret owners that have so many problems
>with their fuzzys such as: Adrenal problems, cancer, spleen problems,
>broken bones, insulinoma ect.  So many I cant list them.  They seem to
>go through surgery after surgery with rehab and recoup programs spending
>perhaps thousands of dollars.
>
>I guess that 50 to 60 percent of the posts are related to health questions
>regarding ferrets.

I think it is easy for people to reach the same conclusion as Greg but that
it is probably not accurate for a variety of reasons.

First, IMHO, one of the very important reasons for the FML is to discuss
health concerns.  Ferrets have not been as popular as cats and dogs as pets
and not near as much is known about them, both by the owners and by many
vets.  I have owned fuzzies for four years and I still have a lot to learn.
Stressing health issues on this list helps me to better understand my pets.
So, although I talk to many people about my ferrets (sometimes to the point
of boredom), I only ever talk about health issues on this list, the FAIML
and my vet.

Second, many rescues are represented on the list.  I suspect that many ill
fuzzies are turned over to shelters because their owners are unable to take
care of them and the rescues then talk about them on this list.  This would
tend to skew the posts toward health issues.

Third, some of us tend to panic.  I have made several posts in the last
several years to this list about potential concerns.  I tend to panic.
After running to the vet, my panic has come to naught.  In four years the
worst thing my six fur kids have had are ear mites.  I must admit, the
oldest one is only five so I may face health problems down the road but I
have six healthy fuzzies.

Fourth, there are over three thousand members on this list that probably
own tens of thousands of ferrets (no one can own just one for very long).
If posts to the FML concerning sick fuzzies amount to 1,000 per year, that
may still only represent 3% or 4% of ferrets represented on this list.
So, when you look at it that way, the majority of our pets are healthy.

I personally think it is a wise move to adopt a ferret and wish I had done
so many years ago.  As more research is done and as more information
reaches us through forums like the FML, our pets will only get healthier
and live longer.

Dale