From:
Dee Eisenman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 07:46:18 PDT
Hello,

Yesterday, someone posted wanting to know where to get Angora ferrets.
So here goes...I have to ask, why do you want an Angora ferret?  Yes, some
may think they are pretty but every single one that I have encountered have
had VERY NASTY temperments.  Even the owners of these ferrets have been
disappointed with them.  I have heard comments from several breeders who do
not breed for Angoras, say that because these ferrets are so far removed
from the gene pool, they have mental problems.  This would certainly hold
true for the ones that I have encountered.

Not only are these ferrets more prone to problems, they need to be brushed
more regularly-not to mention fleas.  There are a few breeders who
advertise for these ferrets in Modern Ferret and they will ship to you.
I don't have an issue on hand, but they are there.  I am not trying to
start a debate over Angoras, but some feedback on this from an
EXPERIENCED/REPUTABLE breeder(s) would be great.  I keep seeing so much
talk about genes.

I, personally, would think twice before obtaining one of these ferrets.
There are already enough problems just venturing outside the standard
colors (Wardenburg) that I just would not risk it.  Trust me when I say
that the Angora ferrets I have encountered are not nice (raised by good
people).  I have even seen some get turned over to shelters because of
psychotic behavior.

If anyone wants to have a "pretty" ferret, these are considerations you
must take.  I do not condone anyone obtaining a ferret simply to show it or
because it is aesthetically pleasing.  This is probably not the case with
you, so please do not think I am jumping to conclusions, but there are
certainly some "ferret collectors" out there.  I could be wrong and maybe
just some Angoras have poor temperment.  Food for thought, though.

I tried to email you privately, but I kept getting server errors.  All I am
pointing out is my experience with Angoras and that you need to consider
some things.

You are probably an excellent ferret parent, and I wish you all the best in
whatever you decide.