From:
Renee Rider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 08:44:13 -0500
Me too!

My mother has 4 _very_ playful ferrets.  I had two.  So, I know what
"normal" ferret play is.

When my two were getting older and sicker, and one didn't want to play as
much as the other, I decided to get two new ferrets, so that if/when one
died, they would still have a playmate.

Well, as much as I love Frick and Uffizi, they just don't play as much.  I
got them as kits, and they are now about two.  They rarely "dook".  They
look at me like I'm crazy when I try to play with them.  Mostly, they run
around and explore.  They are definitely ferrets because Uffi steals lots
of stuff.  Frick only steals the phone cord.  He is the dominate male and
doesn't like any ferrets besides Uffi.  Occasionally, they do a ferret
dance with each other for a few seconds, then they calm down and ignore
each other.  They might go through a tunnel, but don't seem to enjoy it
as much as my first two or my mother's.

Shortly after I got Frick and Uffi, my first two did pass away.  I wonder
if they just needed better "play role models."

This past November, I started to foster.  I have two beautiful sables--
Chip and Dale.  Chip has an adrenal and just started Lupron, but is still
playful.  Dale is at least 6 years old, but she is the most playful, happy
ferret.  Finally, I have a ferret that I can chase and will chase me back.
I keep telling Frick and Uffi that Dale and Chip are old, sick ferrets,
and they are young.  They should be that playful.  But they are just too
"mature" for that stuff.

renee
Frick - I can't play, I still must explore that shelf
Uffizi - I can't play, there still might be one more thing to steal
Chip - Play... then sleep...=20
Dale - Play! Play! Play!