Date:
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 10:07:31 -0700
I'm new to FML but I have waited to see if someone would answer the question
of introducing new ferrets to old with the method my daughter has used for
years.  She read about it in Deborah Jean's "Practical Guide to Ferret
Care", Chapter 8, starting at page 109.  However she modified it somewhat.
Her ferrets run free.  So when she knew she was going to have a new ferret,
she would get out the cage and set it out early.  They would freak at the
cage but she wouldn't let them in it.  When she got the new ferret, she
would put the new ferret in the cage but let the others have access to the
cage.  They would climb over it, rub beside it, etc.  She would let the new
one out when the others were sleeping to get him/her used to the house, her
and hubby.  Then she would let the new one out for no more than 10 min
supervised play with the others.  Each day she would increase the time.  If
someone got too rough, the new one went back inside the cage.  After about
two to three weeks, they would be fully integrated into the group.  She
refers to them as her "Frazzle of Ferrets".  Also to give the new one some
quiet time she would cover the cage with a towel.  I hope this makes life a
little easier for those of you trying to bring new ones into a "frazzle".  I
get to babysit when they go on a trip.

Big Mama, Daughter Ann and Hubby, Einstein, Franklin, Jung, Kipling, Glory,
Harmony, & Inspiration.

Dooks and Kisses all around.