From:
Risa Di Vincenzo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 10:58:38 -0400
I agree that it's sad when people only want to adopt the "special case"
shelter animals.  But in reality all the shelter babies are special cases.
People just need to know their stories.  It is true that when we read
about one special shelter pet that our heart goes out to that one, and we
long to give them a happy ending.  But when faced with other stories and
pet descriptions we find the pet for whom we can make a perfect home.
This is a good way to match up shelter pets with their best possible owner
and vice versa.

I would urge shelters (or a special volunteer because shelters are already
so busy!) to contact a local town paper and see if they will donate a half
a page a month for the shelter to highlight their pets.  A photo and quick
description of each pet's traits and needs will quickly put that pet into
the minds and hearts of many.