From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 May 1997 00:23:31 -0400
>My question is, I know those of you that give your own distemper shots
>usually pre-treat with childrens Benadryl.  How much do you give (orally I
>assume), and how far in advance of the distemper shot do you give it?  If
>the ferret does have a reaction, do you give more Benadryl, or do you either
>head for the vets, or give a shot of something like Recover?

I have NEVER pretreated a ferret with Benadryl or anything else before
giving a distemper shot.  If the shot is safe, you should not have to
pre-treat.  I have used about 50 FERVAC and over 1000 FROMM / GALAXY D
shots.  I give all my vaccinations in the rump area, and try to do shots
during vet office hours, but have never needed to take a ferret in for a
reaction.  I have had a ferret react to a rabies vaccination given at a
clinic, and she was given something and then we went home.  I just have not
revaccinated her since then, and she is now 8 years old and doing just fine.

Pamela Troutman Grant