From:
Chere McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 1995 23:23:50 -0400
On April 19, 1994 at 5:00P.M. the FFDRI was able to contact Debbie McGuffin
our Ferret Contact in Oklahoma City, OK.  Debbie and her eight ferrets were
alright and not affected by the bombing of the Federal Building in Oklahoma
City, OK.  Debbie related to the FFDRI Director: " I was going to my bank
this morning - it's right across from the federal building but noticed I was
running late so I didn't go.  Guess I'm one of the lucky ones."  The inital
call to Debbie was made at 11:30A.M. on 4/19/95 however the phone lines into
Oklahoma City were tied up.  FFDRI was able to reach Louis Arnau in Lahoma,
OK who was able to reach Debbies recorder and he left a message.  FFDRI
thanks Louis Arnau for his help.  Debbie is on alert for disaster victims and
as of 4/21/95 all ferrets are O.K.

4/22/95  8:47A.M. E.S.T.  An apartment building in the vicinity of the bombed
Federal Building is expected to collasp and resuce workers are going into
that building to remove animals - this was reported by CNN.  9:15 A.M. E.S.T.
 FFDRI contacted Debbie to ask about the situation.  Debbie was aware of the
situation as was her veternarian.  Debbie related to FFDRI that all Dogs and
Cats were out of the apartment building and only "exoitcs" were left - i.e.
snakes, rats, FERRETS!!!!  Debbie is on alert and ready to receive any
ferrets from the apartment building - Debbie has also contacted the local
Humane Society and she is investigating.  We will get a statis report from
Debbie this evening and keep you alert to the situation.

FFDRI would also like to thank "Ferrets First Rescue and Shelter "in
Weatherford, TX for their call and offer of assistance.

Further FFDRI contacted a large pet store in downtown Oklahoma City -
"Quality Pets" to inquire if they needed assistance. - It was related that
"Quality Pets" hasn't got any windows anymore and the store is rather messy -
but all animals fine - none hurt.

FFDRI Educational Director Ava McDannel and her Husband Aaron are on their
way to Oklahoma City (Ava's mother lives there - she is alright) and we will
be getting a report from Ava in the next 36 hours.

Meanwhile we are awaiting a call from Debbie mcGuffin which we should receive
by 9:00P.M. E.S.T. 4/22/95 telling us of the ferret situation in Oklahoma
City, OK.

Let the ferret community be assured that if help is needed the Ferret Friends
Disaster Response International organization is poised and ready to respond
immediately.

Signed

Chere McCoy
Southeast Coordinator Ferret Friends Disaster Respons International