From:
Cheryl Langfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 May 2003 01:00:55 EDT
I have a ferret who is almost a year old.  I got her as a rescue so
don't have much history on her, however I've had her for about 8 months.
I don't really remember for how long but for at least 6 months now she's
had bird-seed poops.  About a month ago they turned much more liquidey
and now they are often greenish.  She WAS 'treated' for ECE with Flagyl
and Amoxy for 14 days but none of my other 3 ferrets show any symptoms
and I know ECE is contagious so I don't think she has this after all.
Her poops have gotten much worse, they're mostly liquid now, with a green
tinge.  If they're not liquid they are a bird seed mush, sometimes the
'seeds' are as big as rice.  She's had two fecal floats done which came
back negative.  She gets baby food and water once a day.  She's not
dehydrated, I check her scruff and gums constantly cause I worry.  One
vet suggested I take her off kibble completely and just feed her turkey,
I guess by that turkey baby food.  This seemed kind of an odd suggestion
for me so I never tried it, I just switched vets!

Nina (the ferret with diarrhea) sleeps a LOT but otherwise seems to
eat and drink fine.  She's a very timid ferret, and is the only one who
still has a bit of a nipping problem.  She weighs approx. 1.4 pounds.

Any suggestions?

Cheryl