From:
Ann Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sun, 11 Apr 1993 15:14:53 -0400
     April 10, 1993
     Sent to GEnie, CompuServe, FML

     Today Dr. Kawasaki saw another case of green diarrhea
     complicated by hepatitis. I spent the afternoon at his
     clinic waiting for him to make a statement after
     carefully reviewing all the blood work. He thinks it has
     reached EPIDEMIC proportions. I am uploading this for
     him.

     Please download this and take it to your vets. He would
     like to hear from any other vets who see this, and would
     be happy to answer any questions. He and Dr. Williams are
     working closely on this for us, and I am working closely
     with them.

     FROM: DR. TOM KAWASAKI- OLD BRIDGE VETERINARY CLINIC,
     WOODBRIDGE VA, (703) 690 2580.

     There have been at least four families presented at my
     clinic with what appears to be an identical disease. The
     following is a list of symptoms which are consistent:

               1.Diarrhea, acute, very loose, often green
               2.Depression and anorexia

     Laboratory data consistent in all cases includes normal
     white cell count and distribution of cells, elevated red
     cell counts indicating dehydration, low protein and
     albumin due to anorexia and loss of protein due to
     malabsorption: exactly 50% of the cases demonstrate
     elevations of a liver enzyme (SGPI or ALT ranging from
     300-1500) with normal or minimal changes in the alkaline
     phosphatase. There have been cases where the liver
     enzymes are normal but histopathology confirms liver
     involvement either indirectly with fatty infiltrates or
     perhaps a direct viral insult to the liver.

      Dr. Kawasaki also asked me to add this from a fax sent
     to me on April 7, 1993 -
     FROM: DR. BRUCE WILLIAMS, PATHOLOGIST - ARMED FORCES
     INSTITUTE, D.C.

     Histopathologic results on necropsied animals are
     consistent with although not diagnostic of, a viral
     enteritis. There is marked villar atrophy, blunting,
     fusion, and loss with necrosis of enterocytes at villar
     tips: crypts are moderately to markedly hyperplastic. A
     moderate lymphoplasmacytic infiltrate is seen in the
     intestine in more long-standing cases.

     The Department of Veterinary Pathology, Armed Forces
     Institute of Pathology is currently investigating this
     disease outbreak. As of yet, an etiology has not been
     identified: more material is needed. If you suspect this
     disease in one or more of your ferret patients,
     histopathology will be done at no cost to you.

     Full necropsies, preferably on moribund animals, are
     preferred. Tissues from animals dead longer than 24 hours
     do not need to be submitted. In addition to a wide range
     of tissues, several 2-inch loops of jejunum should be
     ligated and frozen, in addition to several sections of
     liver and 1cc of serum. If histopathology shows lesions
     compatible with this entity, then we will contact you for
     these frozen sections at that time, in order to perform
     virus isolation and serology on these samples.

     THIS APPEARS TO BE A HIGHLY CONTAGIOUS DISEASE WITH
     POTENTIAL TO KILL ADULT FERRETS. EVENTS AT WHICH LARGE
     NUMBERS OF FERRETS ARE CONGREGATED, SUCH AS FERRET SHOWS,
     ARE MOST LIKELY AN EXCELLENT VENUE FOR DISSEMINATION OF
     THIS DISEASE.

     For more information on this disease or how to submit
     tissue for examination please call Dr. Bruce Williams at
     (202) 576-2453/2454. - end of fax.

     All League of Independent Ferret Enthusiasts Affiliates
     have been notified by telephone and the April edition of
     THE INDEPENDENT VOICE.

     In light of this information L.I.F.E is recommending that
     there be a MORATORIUM ON FERRET SHOWS-FUN MATCHES- OR ANY
     GATHERING OF FERRETS-for the next 60 days. At the present
     time, we think this should be long enough.  Dr. Kawasaki
     and Dr. Williams think we have a  very grave situation.

     LETS KEEP OUR WEASELS AT HOME AND ALIVE!

     In light of this, and being a responsible ferret
     organization;
     Denise Edens, president of Metro Ferret Friends has
     CANCELLED THE MAY 15 SHOW. It will be rescheduled when we
     feel that the danger is over.

      I think we should applaud Denise for her good judgement
     and quick decision it will probably save many ferret
     lives.

     I personally know of 20 ferrets who have died from this-
     and dozens more who have had it and survived.
     I will post more as soon as I know more.

     Anyone wishing to receive a complimentary copy of THE
     INDEPENDENT VOICE quarterly journal for ferret
     enthusiasts can email me their address. It contains the
     LIFE show information and news style articles on