From:
Howard Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 1993 00:18:14 -0500
Hi all,
I would like to explain the mystery of LIFE (sorry, I just
couldn't resist the pun) the League of Independent Ferret
Enthusiasts is an organization without an organization. There are
no officers, and no dues, nothing to join. Confused??
It started with Diane Rogers (the Weaselry in Baltimore) and I
(Ann Davis- ACME FERRET CO.- Virginia) trying to come up with a
way independent clubs could accumulate points and issue
certificates on those points. We also wanted a system that would
allow us to take into account any points earned from other show
sanctioning organizations and add them all together. Voila! LIFE
was born(so to speak).

Being of sound mind and experienced show givers, we designed a
100 point system which we believe is fair, and established
standards for colors and conformation. We really like our system,
and so do the judges who have used it. But in the true spirit of
independence, we don't force our system on any of the sister
clubs, we merely offer it.  We also do not require 3 rings, or
that each club has all the colors everyone else does- this allows
for regional diversity and less rings! For instance, we don't see
a lot of chocolate shaded silver mitts in VA, so we put them in
the chocolate mitt ring (we don't see a lot of these either), but
still judge them against a standard for their color, but it is
apparently a big color in Florida, so they will have it as a
separate color ring.

We took a poll of our members and found that certificates were
very important to them . They felt that if they payed their money
and spent their time, they should have something to show for it!
(As we all know, ferret shows can be deadly boring) Sooo,
we designed a certificate that could be used by any participating
club with only a few word changes. To date ALL LIFE SHOW
CERTIFICATES HAVE BEEN PRINTED AND MAILED OUT TO THE OWNERS,
INCLUDING THE LAFF SHOW OF 300 CHAMPIONSHIP FERRETS IN JANUARY!

We will also issue interim certificates: if members in our
database report extra points earned at non-independent shows,
with proper verification we will simply add these to their
existing points--and if they are due a new title, issue it. This
is because other national groups have worked hard on their
standards too, and we respect them. This is all for the good of
the breed, folks!- THE MESSAGE- go to everybody's shows!

Vickie Mckimmey and I keep the database and issue certificates.
Vickie is a computer programmer and I am a graphic artist. All of
our sister clubs have access at any time to this information.
They can change the wording on the certificates if they wish.

We also have a great melting pot of former judges from other
organizations and are training new ones at every show. Our judges
do not accept money for their services! They just get theare real money makers
 for the clubs, which ALL
support their own shelters, I do it for the little homeless
ferrets who need serious medical attention etc., the fact is that
the shelters are all so darned poor- if you have ever run one you
know that you go in the hole so deep you just quit counting. I do
not have championship ferrets- I love the scraggly ones, the
skinny ones and the hairless,- but I also love to look at the
beautiful ones in the shows. END OF SERMON

The whole concept has taken off past our wildest expectations,
(actually we didn't have any to begin with) here are the show
dates we have confirmed so far, there are more pending:

LAFF- was January 16

Flower City Ferret Fest -March 20 - Western New York and Finger
Lakes Ferret Association-3 rings, specialties,  Monroe County
Fairgrounds, Rochester, NY contact Jeanne Stadtmiller (716)637-
4589. A NY state ferret license is req.

Legion of Superferrets - April 24- St. Thomas Aquinas School,
Croydon, PA- 3 rings contact Rose Smith, (215) 946-2747

Metro Ferret Friends - May 15 - The Sports Kick Arena,
Gaithersburg MD/ 3 rings, specialties etc. Contact Denise Edens
(301) 972-1618

Susquehanna Valley Ferret Club- August 21- Harrisburg PA./ 3
rings, specialties, Contact Jodi Schroth (717) 540-1076

Greater Chicago Ferret Association - Sept. 11- /3 rings etc.
Contact Janis Miller (708)964-GCFA

Georgia Domestic Ferret Association - Sept. 11- /2 or 3 rings
etc.- only neutered adults-kits whole ok- unless you have a GA
breeders license ($250)-- in conjunction with the Georgia Pet
Expo-- contact Jan Lovell (404) 442-5917

Ferret Lovers Association - November 20- Sanford Armory , near
Orlando Florida
3 rings/  $500.00 prize, trophies, specialties etc. This is the
first ferret show to be handled by a professional promoter- VIP
promotions. They are sending out 20,000 flyers (yes 20,000).
Contact Mary Lou Simpson (407) 321-9188

Pam Grant and I are putting together a stud book of all ferrets
and their lines from all shows anywhere, from anyone, and
including the LIFE list. We hope to be able to cross reference
all breeders and avoid inbreeding, which we believe to be
responsible for a lot of the illness we are seeing now. (this
will take a while).

Meanwhile- if you are interested in going to one of the shows,
please phone the contact. Most registrations are opened 2 months
in advance, and they fill up quickly. Each club handles its own
registration and sets its entry fees, which include the cost of
printing the certificates and mailing them. Please provide as
much information on your entry sheet as possible about each
ferret.

If anyone needs any more info on LIFE you can contact me directly
Ann Davis, 9330 Old Burke Lake Rd. Burke VA 22015, 703-503 7313.
I would be glad to put you on my mailing list and inform you of
shows, and all the other junk that goes on.

Please be patient, I won't be around to answer my mail for a
couple of weeks. I'm going down to the HSUS convention to work
the Ferret Friends of Indian River County table (with Chere
McCoy-my dear friend). What a fantastic job she has done pulling
this thing together. I just got off the phone with her, the list
of people and clubs who have sent info and donations is awsome!
Thanks to all you generous people who spent their time and money
gathering and printing info. Chere and I love you-We're gonna
knock their socks off!!

We are There will be humane workers from all over the
US- some of which still don't know there is IMRAB-(they sent
great stuff)
I'll also be working the Project BREED Directory booth (Breed
specific rescue and education) It is a non profit large national
organization that publishes a book dedicated to rescues-all
breeds- and this will be the first time that ferret rescues are
included in this national directory!! The director, Shirley
Webber, asked me to provide ferret info at her table too. Ferrets
will be everywhere!!!

--Ann Davis