From:
Signe Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 05:06:22 -0500
Per Bob Church:
>I've heard people say that a ferret was "getting back at them," or
>"holding a grudge." Personally, I don't think the ferret would be so mean
>(not being human) as to resort to primitive higher primate back-stabbing
>or name-calling rituals.  The ferret expresses what it feels.  If you get
>a lick, it's a positive feeling.  If you get a bite, then a negative
>feeling.  I'm still deciding about the "lick-lick-chomp."

Well, I don't know.  My ferrets built up what looked like a genuine grudge
against me last week when I was still working at my old job while training
in at my new one at night.  Their playtimes had to be re-scheduled and
shortened, and a couple were missed altogether.  I'm also in the process
of selling my house and they had to stay in their condo while viewers were
going through.  They (the ferrets) finally were able to have a good old
hours-long romp last Friday night.  Before they took off on their rampage,
however, all five lined up (as far as ferrets are able to line up), walked
purposefully toward me, and each in turn solemnly nipped me (gently) on the
ankle, even the two who'd never ever nipped anybody before in their lives.
This display of negative feelings had a definite "planned" look to it.  If
they'd been able, I suspect they would've called me a few choice names,
too...not that I blame them.  That little parade of teeth taught me that
promising a nice long playtime "tomorrow" does not work with ferrets.

(Later I found a super-sized poopie pile in the middle of the living room
carpet.  Either someone had been saving it up all week or all five had
contributed to it.)

Signe