From:
william killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 1995 16:39:31 -0400
I had enough people write to me telling me to continue posting that I
will.  I appreciate the support.  I will limit comments on controversial
topics to specific questions and information.  I am not going to comment
on what people "should think".

[Moderator's note: No, but this could go on forever anyway.  There's no
new info in the arguments (on either side) anymore.  Bill, I think you've
made your statement, just as some others have and it's time to move on to
more productive things.  BIG]

>From:    "Meg Carpenter, Chaotic Ferrets" <[log in to unmask]>
>that I cannot agree with his automatic assumptions that smaller breeders
>would not be able to provide adequate medical care and nutrition for their
>breeding animals...You liken Marshall Farms to a business, and this country
>is free for enterprise, and so -- how come (aside from Path Valley) others
>have not picked up the lucrative trail??

There are already numerous smaller breeders that are in the category of
small ranches or ferret-mills unlike the large ranches of MF and Path
Valley.  If people will remeber I mention recently PETAs efforts to shut
one down in Maryland.  There is a new one in Michighan that is obviously
out to make money acpitalissing on the newly legal status in Michighan that
has some 200+ jills.  I know about a ranch starting in Texas that took at
least 90 breeding paris off in a trailer.  The ferrets were already adults
and in season so they were working on reproducing on their way to Texas.
These are not the 10 to 30 ferret hobbiest breeders like myself.  There are
hobbiest breeders that have done questionable things but that also is not
my point.  LIFE and other have definitely known about some of these mills
and small ranches and have tried to shut them down as well.  This isn't
conjecture that they exist nor that they are already trying to 'get in on
the action'.  Most of these are lacking in the care described in last
nights FML given to the ferrets at Marshall Farms.

>The other factor, is that with the limited life span of their breeding
>stock -- how can they begin to know of any physical problems that are
>being passed on to the puplic since our pets are permitted to live longer
>than their parents?

I am quite sure that all of Marshall Farms retired breeders are not
euthanized.  I know that at least some of them live at (MF Vet) Dr. Bell's
house.  Statistics on life span can be deduced from even a portion of the
ferrets so from a scientific point they can know these things regardless
of the euthanising or not of some or even a majority of their retired
stock.  It still has not been proven that MF does euthanize their stock
by a reputable source.

>Marshall Farms is closed to visitors... I am not advocating general tours -
>but, hey, no one is allowed in.  Why?

The techniques you describe are not adequate for all viruses.  How many
people would submit to stripping naked and scrubbing down multiple times
as described by Dr. Williams just to tour a ferret facility?  MF is not a
hospital trying to ease the minds of prospective patients.  I don't think
you could get a tour of many factories or ranches.  Some yes.  Some no.
Nothing criminal in MF trying to keep trade secrets.  I know you could
not get into any places I've been employed.  Trade secrets and government
security requirements.  This isn't sinister.

>The vast majority of problems we are contacted about are in Marshall Farms
>ferrets.  I average 5 to 10 calls a day.

Since the vast majority of ferrets are Marshall Farms ferrets how could it
be any other way?  I deal with ferret question including health question on
a daily basis.  I also deal with care questions on a daily basis.  I get
about the same percentage of care questions for Marshall Farms ferrets as I
get for health questions.  As I am not a trained veterinarian I limit my
medical advice to whether I would take a ferret in a given condition to a
veterinarian or not and to simple things like ear mites.  Ferret veterinary
care is far too complex for those not specifically trained in veterinary
medicine.

>And it is also unfortunate but true, that our imported ferrets -- Canadian,
>German, English and now Australian, are proving to be healthier and larger
>animals than our American ferrets.

Are you referring to the private breeder or pet store ferrets here?  I
honestly have not seen a larger problem rate with MF vs. private breeder
vs. foreign blooded ferrets.  I have all of these.

>From:    Wayne Rothe <[log in to unmask]>
>This is not an easy question to ask, but it's been on my mind... When the
>little thing eventually succumbs and dies, how will we find her?

How old is she?  If she is getting older I would advise for her sake that
you keep close tabs on her.  Older ferrets (or sick ferrets) will show
signs before they approach death.  When they are close they will need more
care and you should for her sake restrict her movements through the house.

> From:    "Howell, Cynthia" <[log in to unmask]>
>does anyone know if ferrets are legal in West Virginia

I'm pretty darned sure ferrets are legal in West Virginia.  WV used to be
a ferret free zone but that was a couple years ago.  Hunting with ferrets
is illegal in the whole country as far as I am aware.  I've driven my
ferrets through West Virginia and will again soon for the Chicago ferret
show.

> From:    Heather Moore <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: celeb ferret owners

Must say this was one of the more amusing things I've read recently in
the FML.  Bullets are supposed to change their name - yours is a darned
good suggestion.  I'd get season tickets and lots of team logo stuff if
they has a name like that.  Since you're local say "Hi" if you get to any
of the local ferret shows.  Thank you for the humor.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets