From:
Deena Canal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 23:56:00 -0400
>Some of us were here before Kodo and have remained here still.  Randy
>Sellers is still doing it.  Diane Rogers is still doing it.  Call the AFA
>and volunteer.

Bill, thanks for supporting what I said even though it may not have been
what you meant to do :->.  I stated that when people start relaxing in their
zeal to support this cause, than others end up shouldering extra burden.
Bill so kindly lent us names to let us know who JUST A FEW of these others
are.  Thank you.  I appreciate that others were there before Kodo, if they
hadn't been then there would have been no resources for such a sudden and
full fledge mobilization to respond.  However, if these folks are deserted
by people who believe that others who are more knowledgeable or eloquent can
better support the cause, then "those more knowledgeable or eloquent others"
will once again face overwork, lack of support, lack of resources, time and
volunteers.

(For any guard hairs that were ruffled, my post was a call for continuing
support only, not one word was meant as a criticism.  I leave that up to
others with more time than things to do.  I was on your side, simply trying
to give you some support by reminding others not to forsake you.)

I do not support a new national organization.  Perhaps you do.  My view is
not wrong because it may not match yours, vice a versa.  I see AFA, LIFE and
LOS as a complimenting threesome, perhaps my view is mistaken by lack of
inside knowledge, what a shame if it is because it paints all of them is a
very good light.  I view AFA as a more administrative organization having to
do more with legal issues and basic welfare.  I love LIFE's website for the
informative aspect, I go there first for rabies info, current ferret events
(news & shows), etc.  (Kinda the PR branch.) LOS in my view is more the
neighborhood connection.  I am familiar with them through their host of the
AOL ferret chat and a few of their members.  I look to each organizations
websites for different info and find each with their own spice.  Together
they are truly a satisfying buffet.

As far what could have been taken as a flame that I need to do something
instead of talking, I will chose not to take it that way.  Friday at noon I
drive 8 hours to attend a 2 hour meeting on Saturday (another 2.5 hours
driving) so that I can drive right back (repeat the 8 hours driving).  It's
a Florida state rabies meetings and I think it's important, therefore I will
do it.  Along with the auction web pages, I have posted 3 rabies web sites.
One for rabies stats, one for state information and one is a rollcall of the
names of the ferrets destroyed for testing.  I asked for input of rabies
information.  3 people from 2 different states responded.  (Thanks guys.)
Since my efforts did find support, I have been researching it on my own.  (I
did ask for help, did you offer it?) The auction page also has a list of
efforts being made.  Once again I asked all who had knowledge of what people
could do to help, support or volunteer to please forward the info.  The idea
being if FMLers and non-FMLers had one place they could go to locate what
need to be done and who to contact, they could offer their help.  Once
again, thanks to all who did not respond.  (Do not criticize me for not
helping when you refused to answer my request of how can I help!)

Every argument wasted among ourselves over who isn't doing enough is one
less argument spent on the lawmakers and general public about why things
must change.  Every lull in supporting those of you who are leading the
battle is one more lull where MY ferret could be snatched.  Once again I
will lend praise and support to those on the front lines by asking that
everyone continue with their dedication and determination they had for Kodo,
not because I don't think you do enough, because I believe there should be
enough of us to get your job accomplished.

And once more I will ask to help.  The best way I can help, due to my
circumstances, is to help gather, assimilate and pass on your needs.  It is
very hard for us followers to follow when we either don't know you exist or
know how to find you.

Deena
Ferret Rabies Rollcall - http://members.aol.com/bcanals/rollcall.htm
Ferret Rabies Stats - http://members.aol.com/bcanals/stats.htm
State Ferret Rabies Laws - http://members.aol.com/bcanals/laws.htm
What You Can Do To Help - http://members.aol.com/bcanals/fight.htm

(I made my conversion of a non-ferret person today to understand what
dangers my babies are in.  I will pat myself on the back thank you much!)
PS Jeffery, thank you for your very nice e-mail.  I will write when I get
back from the meeting.