From:
Claire C <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2008 12:24:13 -0500
On Feb 24, 2008, at 1:00 AM, Brenda wrote:

>The basement rock wall leaks from cracks in the wall right where the
>ferret's big quilt is and with the panels up I can't try to stop the
>leak on the inside. The ferrets get down right testy when their
>basement floods. Once the half wall is built and the panels removed if
>anyone knows what we can use to seal the cracks that would be helpful.

The best way to approach this is from the outside. Is there a
foundation drain? Does the ground slope away from the house? Are
there gutters? If so, does the downpipe take the water away from the
foundation? it could be that the basement used to be dry, but something
has changed.

Waterproofing or something like diatomaceous earth applied outside the
house will do much more than hydraulic cement applied inside the house.

Re: dirt basement - be VERY careful going any deeper than the current
blocks holding things up. You will almost certainly cause the blocks
to shift. You will need to dig a pit and put in a proper footing and
support posts at intervals. After that, I'm sure the ferrets will enjoy
helping you dig it out, bucket by bucket.

Caulking floorboards isn't done much these days. Iif it's because there
are actual gaps in the floorboards, that usually means you have only a
subfloor; consider putting a floor down. If it's because of creaking
floors, then a systematic inspection and shimming will work better
than caulk. If it's for mold/moisture control, and this is over the
dirt area, think about sealing the dirt off with plastic rather than
trapping the moisture in the floor by caulking. Generally, that's a
better procedure.

Lastly, you mention some wiring. Check the local building codes, but
in most cases for someone to work on the wiring of a house they don't
own, they have to be a licensed electrician. Changing out a couple of
outlets is simple enough, but just be aware that the owner exemption
doesn't usually extend to anyone else. On the other hand, if there is
a sympathetic electrician around willing to certify the work...

I live in Maine and am not sure I can come, but if I can, I will...
I've been renovating or building houses all my adult life. I've also
got a great library of techniques, so I'm more than willing to pass
on how-to tips.

-Claire