From:
"Paula M. Webb" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 21:47:42 -0500
Hi,
I have been reading the posts about cats and ferrets and I thought I would
share this kind of amazing story with all of you.

I have five ferrets ranging in age from 11 months to the mystery age of "I
don't have a clue." Aside from my two-year-old son they are my baby's and I
had no need for any other type of pets.  Ok, ok well maybe 2 guinea pigs.
LOL.  I live in a rather small apartment but we all fit rather well.
Anyway, there are two animal shelters on the street I live on.  My son and
I frequently visit both of these shelters and play with the cats or walk
the dogs.  We both enjoy this very much and I have always been able to
leave their without an animal and without a lot of guilt.  Well, things
change........The other day I went in to one of the shelters to walk the
greyhounds.  After walking the dogs I went in to see the puppy's and the
cats.  I guess you all know where this is leading to.  LOL.  One of the
techs saw me and said "you have to look at this cat."  So, I did.  She told
me that the cat was dumped at the doorstep at barely 6 months old and
pregnant.  She went into a foster home to have her kittens and did rather
well.  After going back to the shelter she started to go down hill and
developed an infection and a fever.  Although the infection went away the
fever never quite went down and she was just not a perky cat.  They did all
kinds of tests on her and could not find anything wrong with her except the
fever.  So I left the shelter and came home thinking about little Elly and
how sad she looked.

Well, little Elly is now living with us.  She has perked up considerably
since meeting my ferrets and she no longer has a temp.  Come to find out
there were ferrets in the foster home.  Maybe she was lonely and missing
her playmates.  Who knows????  She has finally found a permanent home with
us and I hope she will be happy here.

The moral of my story is:  Ferrets are great medicine.