From:
Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 15:09:13 EST
I am posting this as a WARNING TO ALL.  You may have noticed a post
yesterday titled "apologies and bombs", in that post was a reference to
ferrets shreading toilet paper rolls.  In my case, a roll of paper towels
was reduced to "confetti" by one of my furry-children.  In light of these
mentions I'd like to point out two things...

First, that paper towel rolls and toilet paper rolls make *wonderful* and
*inexpensive* ferret toys!

Second, they can be DEADLY!  The center cardboard piece MUST BE REMOVED
before ferrets are allowed to come in contact with these!  It is far too
easy for a little furry head to slip inside the cardboard and get stuck or
the ferrets become suddenly frightened and begin thrashing it's head wildly
and/or take off running with this stuck on it's head.  In either case, the
ferret could be killed in a matter of seconds.  Ferrets have been known to
run into a wall and break their necks while their heads are stuck in these
"tubes".  The same is also true of paper cups or any other similar items
you may have around the house that a little fuzzy head could get stuck in.

Debi and I are both aware of this danger and I have yet to meet anyone more
diligent than she in making certain all cardboard rolls from these items
are kept out of the reach of the fuzzies and that they are also
"torn/unrolled" into a flat piece of cardboard before they even hit the
trash can.  Regarding the posts, in Debi's case, the cardboard center piece
was of course, still on the holder so it posed no threat.  In my case, I
had already removed the center cardboard...as I always do when paper towels
are used in areas where fuzzies may play or visit.

So, these are great toys, but they MUST be modified before they come in
contact with your beloved fuzzies!

Trish
Director, Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter