From:
TONI L JAMES <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 1997 18:05:52 -0600
We took Beige to the vet today and asked the vet to look at him because
whilst squeezing on all the ferrets one night (a ritual we do every weekend)
we found something in Beige.  To cut a long story the vet took x-rays and
said that it is his spleen, and that it is enlarged.  Flame me for waiting
so long to take him down, but it never seemed to hender the way he was.

Beige has always been slow, we actually thought he had that thing where he
doesn't get enough sugar.  He plays with the other ferrets, but tires easy.
The last two weeks, he has been kinda like depressed.  He quit eating
Cheerios and only played a little bit then going to the couch to sleep the
rest of the time they are out of the cage.  We thought that maybe he had the
cold, catching it from my brother's friend.

We were taking them down for their shots in a couple of weeks, so we decided
to wait till then.  Because the vaccination medicine didn't come in, all in
all we had to wait for over a month before we had the medicine for the
shots.  We should have taken him when we felt it.

The vet took blood, his temperature, and like I said, X-rays.  The vet said
that he had very thick, dark blood, and that it meant there is something the
matter with Beige.  The shocking thing was when one of the boys at the vet's
office held Beige up, you could see the left side of him bulging out, like
he swallowed a lemon.  We never noticed that before.  We watched on the
Animal Planet them do surgery on a ferret with an enlarged spleen, and he
talked about it some, but not a lot.

I am going to look on the FAQ about lymphosarcoma, that is what he said it
might be.  The vet is going to call around to find out all he can for he
isn't that knowledgable, but he is the best we can get right now, and he is
better than nothing.

I was hoping that ya'll that have had experience with this could write me
and tell me everything there is to know about it.  Before surgery, during
surgery, after surgery, if surgery (he said that he might not need to do
surgery), anything.  My mom is scared to death, and I want her to be
prepared for anything.  Please even if the stories are sad to where the
ferret didn't make it, I want to know.  I need to prepare not only Beige for
what is next, but also my mom.

So as to not crowd up the list, you can e-mail me at [log in to unmask]  If
you want to send pictures, send it to [log in to unmask]

Thank you in advance, and please keep Beige in your thoughts.