From:
Lynn Mcintosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 May 1996 14:54:37 -0700
Hi, I'm very interested in Troy's message (excerpts below) in relation to
Squeek, our precious three-and-one-half year old baby blaze who a month ago
fell ill and lost his ability to walk, stand, hold up his head and anything
but crawl.

Since he isn't improving much, I'm asking for further diagnoses help from
online vets, as I still don't have a dianosis and his condition remains the
same.  He still can't crawl well, pulls himself along with his left paw,
tries to stand, rolls over, finally gives up.  Outside he ambles along
though, all legs moving, if I support his neck, stomach and gently help him
along.  He hardly ever wants to play, and if so, feebly with front paws and
slow mouth openings.  His back paw (I think right, I'll check) quivers quite
a bit, and turns in.  He often reaches it far forward and up.  His left
front paw is the better one; the right gets dragged often, while he pulls
with the left in his admirable attempts to crawl.

We're weaning him off prednisone, he was two weeks on chlorophenacol, and
now he's on Baytril (for a high temperature last weekend, which has abated).
He also gets multiple vitamins and some herbs (an enzyme, and Ginko, to help
blood flow to his brain; Nutrical and treats in moderation).

A little history on him: He came from a litter of four kits, two born dead
with neural tube syndrome (brain crest exposed); one died after 24 hours
(starved due to cleft palate, part of neural tube disorder).  Squeek was
running and walking, but his balance never appeared quite right to me.  I
thought he fell over to the left more than might be normal for a developing
kit.  He was full of life, love and play, though, with lots of will to
survive.

The evening, or next (a month ago, prior to illness), after giving him drops
of Mitex in his ears, he reared back his head, stretching and stretching,
then he urinated and defecated on me - very unlike him.  After this he grew
ill quickly with very low fluctuating temperatures.  Many tests included
info that: His white cell count was somewhat low, red count a little low,
one liver enzyme was off, urine slightly alkaline (8/7), one kidney (left)
huge - maybe as big or bigger than a full grown ferret, other kidney very
small (two vets say this is a birth defect for sure), fecal test normal,
distemper test negative.  Since he fell ill about a month ago, he's gained
four and 1/2 ounces (though one of those ounces was lost during the weekend
he fell ill).

The doctor gave possible diagnoses of distemper (negative), septic
meningitis (possibly treatable with antibiotics), or congenital cerebellum
hypoplasia (I think the third words right; a common term for it, I guess, is
fading kitten syndrome).

I'm beginning to suspect he had a stroke, or else his inability to walk and
balance is related to ear damage following two small applications of Mitex.
But, his ears have been looked into and appear normal - at least to the
point where the vet can see and the membrane begins.  He did respond a
little to antibiotics, in that his temperature stabilized, but his
coordination and balance have stayed the same.  My vet says fading kitten
syndrome is a downhill illness, which isn't the case with him.  This occured
rapidly and has stabilized (at this point).

Does a stroke sound possible/likely.  If so, how should it be treated?
Does anybody have any other idea what could have caused this and how to
treat it?

>From:    Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Bob, KDHE Meeting, Home
>Sunday morning Abbey had a Grand Mal seizure - stroke I think....

Troy, Did you see the seizure? What did it look like?  How old is Abbey?
Does she have any history of neural problems?

>have to use baby potty pads since she can't control her functions.  She is

Can these be found in a general drug/grocery store?

>Baby had the same thing happen, years ago, and I was able to rehabilitate
>her 100%.

How did you do this, Troy?!!!

>During the day when I am away I put her in the closet so she will not be
>bothered by the others.  I took the litter box out and put papers down in
>the corner but she usually soils her blankie then drags herself away from
>that area.  No water bowl, just a flat saucer with a little water in it in
>case she wants to try to drink.

Squeek usually drags himself to the paper and away.  He doesn't drink
water on his own.  I'm afraid he'd drown, and he doesn't try it anyway.

>Zephyr is still not eating much on his own.  (sigh) I scheduled Spiccup for
>adrenal surgery next Tuesday.

Wow, Troy.  I am impressed by all the news of your shelter - especially
how you pulled through the ECE crisis!!  I would like to run a shelter
someday, but right now nine ferrets, including Squeek, who I must hand
water and feed and exercise many times daily, plus remodeling a home, are
all I can handle.  But, someday!

Thank you,

Lynn Mc., Baby Squeek and Mom Claudette (plus the other seven rambunctious
furbies)