From:
Lynn Mcintosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 1996 14:48:27 -0700
Just a quick post to announce that the LOS show scheduled for August 24 in
Seattle has been cancelled due to ECE's recent appearance here.  There is
one death confirmed from ECE and at least two illnesses, though we're trying
to get more info now on the extent of the illness' spread.

So, Seattle and greater Seattle, let's say Washington State, people,
download the "Disease FAQ" on ECE and get the info to your vets!  Keep your
ferrets safe.  ECE is highly, highly contagious: if you have contact with
ferrets or toys or clothing that are contaminated wtih the virus, then touch
your babies, they can get infected - it is NOT only spread by fecal contact.
I may try to forward a message from a Seattle vet about ECE, but need to get
his okay first.  Let's do everything we can to contain this outbreak and
keep our fuzzies safe.

It's important to get your ferrets to the vet ASAP if you suspect ECE - see
the FAQ - as survival rate is highest with immediate treatment.  Remember,
ferrets who recover from ECE remain carriers for at least three weeks.

Lynn Mc and the Gang of Nine who are staying at home in their own yard this
summer, except for possible visits to confirmed ECE-free ferret friends.