From:
John Rosloot <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 1992 12:38:42 -0400
    Chris, I was going to begin with a long spiel about what a fine job I think
you do with the list, but you said to let it die, so I won't mention it :).

    Second, I'd like to apologize for the length of this article, but I don't
submit often, so when I do I like to make up for it.

[Considering the trouble we had establishing a route to you, I think you're
entitled ;-)]

    Now for the Big News! I bought a second ferret last Thursday. I originally
figured two ferrets would be twice as difficult to keep up with as one. Well,
forget it, it's more like ten times! (as they head off in opposite directions,
intent on destruction. Did I hear a cry of "Divide and conquer!"? :).

    She's just a baby (well, toddler), 8 weeks old, and weighs about 9 ounces
(and counting, she weighed about 7.5 Sunday). I'm a little worried about her
health. She seems strong and active, but she sometimes passes some blood with
her stool. The vet says it's most likely the stress of all the changes in her
life. She otherwise seems healthy, is quite active and playful, and has a good
appetite. He gave her a general anti-inflammatory shot Tuesday afternoon which
he hopes will help; she still had some blood Wednesday morning, but I haven't
noticed any since then. One thing I noticed, she has only 4 toes on her left
hind foot. It appears (not that I'm an expert) to be a birth defect, based on
the lack of any scar and the slight deformation of the other toes and the foot-
pads. It doesn't seem to slow her down, though, and the vet doubts there are
any related internal congenital problems (one less worry for a new parent).

    She seems well socialized; though she nips a lot in play, she hardly ever
bites hard. I bought her as a playmate for Buddy (my other ferret, a 1.5 year
old neutered male); I worry about him being bored and lonely by himself all
day. So far, though, Buddy doesn't seem to think much of her. The new girl
would probably get along with Buddy ok, having come from a large litter (12
kits; in fact, she was so lonely the first night she would only go to sleep if
I held her, and would cry when I put her down). Buddy however has been a single
ferret as long as I've had him (5.5 months), and maybe before (I adopted him
from the Humane Society). He doesn't quite know what to make of this newcomer.
When I first introduced them they sniffed each other, then Buddy bit the new
girl (causing her to snap and hiss like a little demon; yikes!). After that
Buddy seemed to be trying to get more attention than usual, though whether he
was jealous or just looking for reassurance in a strange situation I don't
know. Other times I've tried to get them together, Buddy has either bitten or
run away in terror. He's gradually getting better, though. It's getting so he
sniffs longer, and then starts with gentle nibbles, gradually becoming more
forceful until I pull them apart. I've been scolding him when he bites her hard
enough to hurt her (she's *very* vocal when she's unhappy about something), and
he's improving very quickly (though it seems kind of unfair; after all, she
bites him, though it's only in play). The other morning she was crawling on him
and nipping at him, trying to play, and Buddy just gave me this look like 'What
is this *thing* you've brought into my life?' and crawled away from her (with
her in pursuit). I had my comforter thrown on the floor, and the new girl kept
chasing Buddy around inside it, while he kept trying to avoid her, and every
now and then one of them would poke their head out and look around (Buddy to
see if the coast was clear, the new girl to see where her playmate was hiding).
It was pretty comical :). Buddy finally made a break for the door and gave her
the slip. I wish I could keep them together so the new one isn't so lonely (she
stills cries sometimes for attention). Hopefully it won't be too long (though
I'll have to be *very* certain Buddy won't hurt her before I'll leave them
together unsupervised; maybe I'll wait till she's big enough to fight back).

    I'm still trying to think of a name for the new arrival. I was thinking
I'd name a girl ferret Gypsy when I got one, but now I'm not 100 percent sure,
though I still like that name. Others I was considering were Pandora and Dancer
(though she hasn't done the 'ferret dance' yet). I was also considering giving
her a name which reflects her birth defect (what an ugly word; how about 'mark
of distinction' :) but all that comes to mind is 'Lefty' (not my first choice).
Any suggestions? She's a sable, by the way.

    One more question. I've been feeding her Nutrience canned kitten food. I
tried Science Diet, but she doesn't seem to care for it. She sometimes raids
Buddy's dry Iams kitten food, but has to chew like crazy before it even starts
to break up, and she doesn't actually end up eating very much of it. I tried
wetting it, but then she doesn't seem to like it at all. Anyway, since I feed
Buddy as much kitten food as he wants (and he hasn't become overweight) should
I be giving something more to a young growing ferret? I looked for Nutrical at
the local pet stores, but no one has even heard of it. Or do you have to get it
from a vet? Should I even bother, or is the canned kitten food fine (she does
eat a *lot* of it, for such a tiny critter).

                                       -John Rosloot-

[You can dampen Science Diet dry.  Mocha's breeder fed her kits Feline Growth
Science Diet mixed with warm water to almost a porridge consistency.  Boy
did those kits love the stuff.  Your kit wouldn't need it thinned that much.
Or canned Science Diet Feline Growth.  I wouldn't bother with Nutrical or
C/D if she seems otherwise healthy.  But watch her - blood in the stool
is usually serious business.  Here, you can only get C/D from a vet.  I assume
Nutrical ditto - I don't remember seeing it in the pet stores.]