From:
Melissa Sullivan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 May 2002 17:40:26 -0400
Greetings all.

I am looking for some advice on introducing meat into Fee's and Milly's
diets.  These poor little ferrets have lived their entire lives (5+ years)
in a vegetarian home and have never been exposed to meat.  As a result,
they seem to believe they are vegetarian ferrets!

I've tried numerous times to give them little pieces of chicken and steak
when they've been at "Nana's" house but they were not at all interested.
We actually went so far as to get small portions of lots of meats (steak,
chicken, veal and liver - the Whole Food meat guy thought we were nuts)
and offered a bit of each raw, fried, boiled and broiled to no avail.
They turned up their noses and walked away.  They even refused the meat
smothered in Ferretone!  I tried mixing up their kibble with a tiny bit
turkey baby food to get them used to the taste but, again, they refused.
I even went as far as trying to reason with them by explaining that their
kibble was made of meat but they apparently have chosen not to believe me.

Milly is a picky eater, eating only kibble, Bandit treats and Ferretone.
Fee, on the other hand, will apparently eat anything except for what
should be his natural diet, including mock chicken from the local Chinese
food restaurant.

Milly has recently been diagnosed with beginning stage insulinoma, which
is I why I feel an increased pressure to get her to eat more meat.  Any
suggestions are much appreciated!

Maybe I need to take a class on cooking for your ferret . . . !

Peace,
Melissa Sullivan