From:
Robynn McCarthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jul 1998 03:45:23 -0400
Hi everyone,
I know we've discussed airlines and flying ferts (as in on a plane, although
sometimes I wonder)before, and I recall someone saying that Delta does well,
and allows ferrets to fly, does anyone remember or know what some of the
other airlines are?

I have to go visit family members for two weeks, and even though my husband
will be here to take care of our fuzzy, when I'm away he tends to be at work
more, and Gargy won't get his all day out time that he's used to.  Not to
mention I'll miss him terribly.  It dawned on me that my mom should meet the
little guy and I was all set to call and have her buy a cage to set up at
her house, but I called the airline I had booked my ticket on first.

I've never had any complaints about American Airlines, but I do now.  I had
to make three phone calls, two that were to ticket agents who informed me
that dogs, cats and exotic birds are allowed on American flights, but their
policy says definately not ferrets.  The fact that noisy and excitable birds
are allowed, and not ferts really struck me as odd.

The other call I made, to the cargo division of American was interesting, as
I spoke to a woman who said that she didn't see why not, that she had a
ferret at one time, and she didn't realize American didn't allow them.  She
even figured out the cost to have him on the plane (64.00 each way, figuring
Gargy's three pound wieght, and the size of the carrier).  But since she
only dealt with things that went in cargo below the plane she couldn't
authorize me to be able to take Gargy on board with me.

I did get the Fax number of the managing director of public relations, whom
I was told, makes the decisions regarding pet policy, and I faxed her a very
nice, and very ferret informative letter, asking why ferrets were not
allowed on American Airlines planes.  We shall see what I hear back.

thanks for letting me vent,
Robynn and Gargoyle ("you mean I don't get to see grandma?")