From:
Kim Schilling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 22:11:46 EDT
So I wrote this article on ferrets for the ASPCA, because they asked me
to.  It started before I broke my back in May.  They wanted a measely 3,000
words to describe ferret care and ownership.  Yeah, ok.  They cut like 50
pages from my almost 400 page book, right??  I'm as good as Bob Church is
when it comes to being brief, and probably as boring ;-)

Anyway, I submitted like 4,600 words.  Then I broke my back/pelvis.  Then
they came back and asked my a bazillion questions and wanted more details,
so I submitted another draft, which I thought was just a draft, on June
4th.  Now we're up to something like 7,500 words (there's not a whole lot
I can do with a broken back...).  It's their own darn fault.  I have at
least a dozen e-mails from the editor where she promises she'll keep me
very involved in the editing process so that they don't screw up, take
something out of context, misquote me or cut something important.  I don't
hear from them for months, so I e-mail and ask if the whole project has
been scrapped.  Nope.  It went to press and will be out at the end of the
month.  I just about had a COW!  The main editor was in shock that I hadn't
seen the final hacked up 3,000 word article.  It was a misunderstanding
between all the editors, but she was certain I'd be as happy with the
finished product as they were.  I said, "You don't kow the ferret
community!  They're vicious." She said, "Tough crap." We aren't writing
for the ferret community, we're writing from the standpoint of a humane
organization who wants people to be educated.  We write for other shelters,
etc.  I said, "You don't know ferret shelters.  They can be vicious!" She
says, "Tough crap." At this point I feel really sick to my stomach..... I
tell her, "This is MY name and reputation on the line." She says "Tough
crap........check is in the mail."

No offense to editors who may be present on this list, but I really do
tend to dislike editors as a group.  I'd wanted to delete one of the ferret
resources I listed and add another.  Geez, I hate editors.  For those of
you who get "Animal Watch" put out quarterly by the ASPCA, I "think" my
article is called "Ferret Fever".  That's what they originally wanted it
to be.  Of course, it could be something completely different now.
Editors........

Kim Schilling and the Zoo
Author of http://www.animalsforawareness.org/Ferret%20Book.htm
Ferrets for Dummies
Director, http://www.animalsforawareness.org
Animals for Awareness

"Protection through Education"
A USDA, 501(C)3 non-profit educational facility dedicated to exotic and
wild animals.