From:
Catherine Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 1996 09:13:43 -0400
Mortimer had an enlarged adrenal gland.  His kidney is fine.  His spleen is
big but normal so the vet left it alone.  She also removed what appeared to
be a lymph node and "involved the mesentary." It was real big, and she said
she really hopes it's not cancerous because it looked "very angry."
Question: what exactly is adrenal disease?  Is it in the FAQ?  Does it cause
lymph nodes to get big and white cells to increase?  Does removing the
adrenal gland solve the problem?  (He will be on a slowly decreasing dosage
of cortisone).

Our vet said she was glad we did this surgery because that gland would
definately have killed him.

Oh, and another question.  We have been finding CLOTH in Mithril's stools
for a while, and we've finally tracked down her stashes of "snacks." She
likes to eat things made of thin cotton, like undies, socks.  and
nightgowns.  Needless to say, we will no longer be leaving that kind of
stuff around for her to eat.  Does anyone have any suggestions for something
she could chew that is safe and might distract her?  Rawhide?  She's only
about ten months old.  Will she grow out of it?

-Catherine, who someday wants to be able to drop her underwear and socks
on the floor again, neatfreak by necessity, but not desire...