From:
Catherine Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 1996 10:18:32 -0400
Sebastian had one of his all time best FLO agent days yesterday.  It all
started when he teleported up to the plant stand.  The plant shelf is about
five feet off the floor, slick, and has no shelves between the floor and the
plants.  We figure he must have jumped from the back of a chair, but it's
still something like a 16 inch vertical jump onto a crowded, slick surface.
I think you all would agree with me that this is "teleporting" behavior.
Anyway, my hubby found him on top of this thing gloating over a pot that had
previously been full of dirt and a plant.  Sebastian was banned from the
back bedroom (which is now Mortimer's private convalescent hospital).

Well.... Sebastian got a bee in his bonnet the rest of the day.  He failed
several attempts to get past us to Downstairsland.  We decided to let him
play with Mortimer (since Sebastian never instigates a wrestling match on
his own) in the back bedroom.  (We shoulda known.) Well, it wasn't too long
before Sebastian had climbed up onto a table in there and sorted through all
kinds of junk and...well, when I found him the raisin back was already slimy
inside with ferret saliva and Sebastian showed no signs of slowing down.  I
think he ate maybe...oh, about FIFTY raisins!  And when I took them away he
started begging for more!  I once again banned him from the back bedroom,
and we rearranged things so Sebastian couldn't get up there again.

His next feat was to somehow teleport OVER the barrier (I'm 5'2" and I have
trouble getting over the darn thing.  I gotta stand on tiptoes and lurch
over.) Sure enough, he was on the desk.  Stupidly, we gave up on the barrier
and let them explore the back bedroom, thinking that we'd just supervise him
and there would be no more trouble.  Well, agent Sebastian had one more
trick up his sleeve, and believe you me this is nothing for a neophyte FLO
agent.  He made his way up onto the table one more time and raided the
cardboard box thingie that had the ferret stuff in it.  But instead of
gorging on raisins like he did earlier, he stealthily began to drag them
away.  That's right, with a passion nearing obsession for these little dried
grape treats, he still was able to DELAY his gratification, to ignore the
aroma wafting up from the BAG of RAISINS under his nose, to try to secure
the entire supply before he was discovered.

I found him just in time.  The look on his face when I took the raisins
almost broke my heart.  I gave him one.  What can I say?  What's the
difference between fifty and fifty-one raisins in a day?  Hehe.

On excema: Shortly after Sebsatian came to live with us, I broke out with
itchy rashes on my face, around my eyes, and on the insides of my elbows.
Because of all the eye scratching, I got two eye infections.  I finally got
a diagnosis of excema, which my doctor also said had nothing to do with
ferrets.  NOw I wonder...

-Catherine