From:
"Caitlyn M. Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jan 1999 09:47:04 -0400
Scott wrote:
>I put the litter box in the corner they both used now Nala poops next to it
>and Reno poops in front of it.  I guess ill try putting some old sheets
>down on the floor

Hi, Scott,

This is actually a really good start, and is what most of my ferts did
before they actually started using the litter pan outside the cage.  Watch
them, and when they go to poop next to or in front ot the pan, pick them up
and put them *in* the pan.  If they go there, give them a treat and praise
them.  If they go outside of the pan, scruff them and give them a stern
"NO".  They'll get the idea :)

How long?  It depends on each ferret.  Some will get it almost immediately,
while others take *months*.  Just keep working at it.  In the cage came
really quickly, but liberty training took a bit longer for us.

Also, make sure you are using the jumbo-sized litter pans that they can get
their whole body into.  The small ones don't work well.  When we made that
change, our holdouts finally got the idea :)

Don't use old sheets, BTW.  Use a piece of plastic runner instead.  It
won't stink, and it's easily washed.

Good luck!
Caity

Caitlyn M. Martin                                     [log in to unmask]
http://www.caitys-world.com

"As the rabbit of chaos is chased by the ferret of disorder
 through the fields of anarchy, it is time to hang your pants
 on the hook of darkness, whether they are clean or not."
 -Roger Moore in "Spice World"