From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 1997 15:21:33 -0500
Headache (from that same danged flu bopping around in me for about 3 weeks),
so excuse typos, please.  I don't have a fax so can't honor those requests.
Sorry.

William B. Johnston, DVM (who, BTW, has one of the most beautiful signatures
I've ever seen), State of Alabama Department of Public Health, RSA Tower,
201 Monroe St., Montgomery, AL 36104 (no phone given.); excerpts:

"... the recommendations of the Compendium of Animal Rabies Control will be
followed ... Alabama immediately began treating ferrets in a manner
identical to that of dogs and cats.  Ferrets, vaccinated or not against
rabies, will be quarantined at a licenced veterinarians for 10 days
subsequent to the bite.

The change became effective November 4, 1997, and I made the decision in
accordance with state law and rules and regulations, properly notifying
those individuals in the state who are responsible for the rabies control
program."

Suzanne R. Jenkins, V.M.D., M.P.H., Acting State Epidemiologist,
Commonwealth of Virginia, Department of Health, P.O. Box 2448, Richmond, VA
23218 (No phone given.); excerpts:

"I was able to notify all state epidemiologists, state public health
veterinarians, and Virginia's District Health Directors by electronic mail
when the Compendium Committee made its decision on ferrets.  As far as I am
concerned, Virginia's policy changed when I sent the information on Sunday,
November 2, 1997.

 ... You should be aware that there are situations when dogs and cats are
euthanized and tested for rabies instead of being confined and observed for
10 days.  These circumstances could also occur with ferrets if behavior or
health status is suspicious for rabies, but overall I expect these
situations to be rare."