From:
Alan Moen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 1995 16:27:11 EDT
Hello all!

I've been lurking since January but now I've got a concern that
(hopefully) someone here can address.  My female had nine babies four
weeks and one day ago.  They're growing like crazy and seem pretty
healthy and active (and boy, can they make noise when they're hungry).
My veterinarian told me they should open their eyes at three and a half
to four weeks.  It's now four weeks and a day and their eyes are securely
shut.  I called my vet's office and she's out until the beginning of next
week - one of the other vets (not as ferret-knowledgeable) thinks it
might be a problem that the babies still haven't opened their eyes.  I've
got an appointment for this Saturday to take them in and have them looked
at, but I'd like to know what the experts say.

I've also started them on soft food (IAM's kitten food put in a blender
with water) since I caught one of the kids munching on some of mom's
kibble (this is the same boy who dived into the water bowl).  I've since
put mom's food and water out of reach and put a bowl with the mush and
another with a small amount of water (not enough for the brat to take a
swim in) in the babies area.  Any input on what I should(n't) be feeding
the kids is welcome.

For those who have wondered why their fuzzbeans go nuts when they hear a
squeaky toy, I've recorded the babies crying and will put them on my WWW
home page along with some pictures of the kids (from day one) when I get
the pictures back from the lab (about three weeks - I'm having a photo CD
made).

Thanks,

Alan Moen

LAN Mananger