Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 1997 21:01:58 -0500
Hello Jazmyn,

I just wanted to make sure you saw my original post because you are
incorrect in some of the statements you made.  First of all, you state that
"anything not a cat or dog is an exotic." What does that mean?  That may be
a common veterinary clumping of animals but it has no scientific meaning.

You're part right when you say that exotic means different but it means more
than that when talking about animals, especially with DFG, it means
non-native.  My statement said that if you want to call ferrets exotic, you
must call all animals not native to this country exotic whether they are wild
or domesticated.  DFG's intention has been to paint the ferret as a
non-native invader species.  Well, cats are, in that case non-native invader
species.  It's their attempt to steer the argument away from their achilles
heel, which is the fact that the ferret is a domesticated animal, not wild
and therefore not intended to be under their control.

But that's not the real point here.  The real point is that no one was
"attacked" in my post.  CFL is after one thing, ferret legalization.  We are
going to do that on the grounds that a domesticated species was put in a
list of wildlife, where it clearly cannot belong.  That claim cannot be made
for hedgehogs, sugar gliders, or anything else that is not a domesticated
animal.  If legalization of these species of animals is important to you,
work towards it.  Look at the law, frame your arguments, organize
supporters, etc.  Legalization of these animals is not our goal, it's not
our fight.  You should start an organization with those goal, they're just
not ones that CFL shares.

But really, read my post again.  If you personally feel attacked because CFL
does not share your agenda with respect to hedgehogs and surgar gliders, or
you feel attacked because I have the opinion that wild animals are more apt
to suffer because they are generally more difficult to care for, you will
need a thicker skin in this world to get by with.  There was no attack made,
and no offense intended.

Let me know if you decide to start something with these other species,
especially if its rescue, but legalization also.  I've been asked to write
an article on how to get involved with helping small animals by Critters,
USA and am looking for people who are active in rescue of all small animals.

Jeanne Carley
Californians for Ferret Legalization
http://www.
ccnet.com/~beisners/gsfs/lobby.html
CALIFORNIANS, YOU CAN FIND OUT YOUR ASSEMBLYMEMBER AND STATE SENATOR BY
VISITING THIS SITE!!  IT'S TIME TO CALL AND WRITE THEM TO CO-AUTHOR THE
FERRET BILL, SO ACT NOW!

Regarding Killian's post,

Really, are you serious?  Skunks, mink, DOMESTICATED?  Let's check the
international species identification system that zoos use worldwide.  Maybe
we'll find the answer there.

Vicunas, llamas etc. native, originating in the U.S.  I don't think so.

Sukie mentioned the Turkey and possibly Huskie and she's probably right, but
these others......  I'm glad you're not with DFG!