Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 1997 11:13:48 -0500
Hello FMLers,

It's kind of hard to respond to this post because it was so vague and didn't
really make much sense but Killian's (I guess I shouldn't say Mr. given the
controversy) post suggesting that I wasn't accurate when I said that no
domesticated animals are native to this country is simply wrong.

The animals mentioned by Killian, mink, skunks and turkeys, are wild
animals, native to this country (U.S.), but wild.  They are not
domesticated.  Mink may be bred in captivity and even tamed, but they are
not domesticated.  The same is true of skunks.  We do have wild turkey's
here, and those that are bred commercially for the food industry.  It is my
understanding that these are not the same species.  Please send along
whatever data or reference you have that says that the commercially bred
turkeys are a domesticated form of turkey that originated, not in Europe or
Asia, but from our native wild turkey.  If they are the same species, then
we are still not talking about a domesticated animal but a wild one that is
harvested by man, like the mink, for food or clothing.

As to llamas, vicunas, alpacas, these are not native to this country.  I'm
also not sure they are domesticated.  So I'm lost as to the point here.
Would a mamologist or biologist say that these species are domesticated
animals that originated (were domesticated) in the US?  Send along the data
or reference, page number and quote.  That's the kind of response that would
help here.

Again, I may be missing Killian's point, but clarity is as important as
accuracy.
CA UPDATE
On a much more important note, it is time for all Californians to write
their State Assemblymembers and State Senators.  One person who should
receive letters from absolutely everyone is the Chairman of the Water, Parks
and Wildlife Committee, Mike Machado.  As chairman, he, in a way, represents
us all.  His address is:

Assemblymember Mike Machado
State Capitol
Room 5175
Sacramento, CA  95814
(916) 445-7931

Remember to let him know that all of the information from other states, the
CDC, Journal of American Medical Association, etc.  show that the ferret is
safer to the environment and people than the dog or cat.  To criminalize
good people for its possession is a terrible waste of both taxpayer dollars
and governmental good will.

Visit the Californians for Ferret Legalization Website to find out the
latest information and discover how you can help.

Jeanne Carley
Californians for Ferret Legalization
http://www.ccnet.com/~beisners/gsfs/lobby.html
CALIFORNIANS, YOU CAN FIND OUT YOUR ASSEMBLYMEMBER AND STATE SENATOR BY
VISITING THIS SITE!!  IT'S TIME TO CALL AND WRITE THEM TO CO-AUTHOR THE
FERRET BILL, SO ACT NOW!