Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2007 07:13:45 -0700
Barb Clay asked for a *good placement* experience. I have several, but
one favorite comes to mind.

Just a bit of background. I do not have a shelter. I work with a small
group of wonderful and dedicated volunteers, fostering and helping to
re-home and educate.

I have ferrets here in my home that came from the county animal
shelter, dumped because they were sick or old, or both. Depending on
their condition, physically and emotionally, these may remain with me
or another foster/volunteer and not be adopted out.

Now the experience:

A man approached me at a PetCo education event a year ago. He had
found a ferret a month earlier he couldn't keep, would I take it. I
determined he had never posted this little one as lost, so I placed a
ad in the paper, put up flyers in his area and posted on craigslist.

The next day I got a call from a lady, she would take the ferret if
it wasn't claimed. That same day I went to pick up the ferret.

What the guy had not mentioned is the ferret had no hair. None The guy
now tells me the ferrets name is *Willie* as that was on it's collar,
which was tossed out. The ferret was in a small cage, with a worn
hammy.

hmmmmmmm

Enter two small children asking questions about Willie, they were
promptly sent out to play.

hmmmmmmm

I brought Willie home with me. I then called the lady that would take
him with the news that he was, um... neked.

She said *no problem, we have a ferret with insulinoma on meds twice
a day, and have had experience with adrenal ferrets too*. Wow.......

Willie had surgery to remove a huge left adrenal, went to live with
his new family and was named Gus, much more appropriate.

Gus grew a beautiful coat of Champaign colored fur, and is a huge lump
of love. His new mom and dad have become my good friends, volunteer
with events, foster ferrets, and donate to our vet acct regularly.

This same lady is (again) fostering the two ferrets that were returned
to us last Saturday, once more *lookin for a home*.

So yes, good experiences with lifelong commitment happens. I never
forget those, nor those that make them happen.

Ardith