From:
"A. Abate/C. Kinsey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 1996 04:51:36 EDT
Here's an idea that has worked for us here at the shelter when we get a
ferret that is afraid of the vacuum cleaner.  Since the scary part seems to
be the motor and the sucking noise, which are both located on the floor
where the terrified ferret is, we simply pick up the ferret and take it
vacuuming with us!  Give lots of hugs, kisses and reassurring words, letting
it smell the hose, wand, etc.  periodically.  Pretty soon it gets very bored
with housecleaning (and who doesn't......) and you can move on to putting
the ferret back on the floor and letting it smell the vacuum while it is off
and then while it is on.  Try turning it off and on a few times at this
stage and if the ferret shows fear, repeat the picking up procedure with
reassurance, and then back to the floor.  We have found it takes only a
day's experience to counter the fear.

A note on the Troy Eckart affair with the ferret breeder.  We went through
something horrifyingly similar a few years ago and still have a few of the
ferrets living at the shelter.  HOWEVER, the discouraging part is that once
we had cleaned out most of the mistreated stock--all that we were allowed to
take--the breeder went right on to replenish the stock with "new blood" and
continues to be fully in business.  What we did do, knowing our options were
limited, was provide vaccinations and proper housing for the animals that
had to stay.  We collected all kinds of ferret condos and blankets, food and
water bowls and delivered them to the breeder.  We also did a marathon
session, giving vaccinations and health checks to all the remaining ferrets.
It was obvious we weren't going to put the breeder out of business, but we
tried to educate the breeder and provide comfort for the ferrets the best we
could.

The ferrets were located in a shed used to house deformed sheep born on the
farm where the ferrets were kept.  The shed also contained every type of
toxic substance imaginable--paints, solvents, greases, antifreeze..... What
assurrance do we have that "your" breeder will not do the same thing once
the old, damaged stock has been rescued.  Is it possible to get the
authorities to step in and see the situation so that this "business" can be
monitored?  Otherwise, I fear that we are, in some way, perpetuating it with
the money spent to take the current animals out of the situation (we did not
pay for the animals we took, but offered the vaccinations and housing in
return, which we felt benefitted the ferrets more than the breeder).  What
about photographs of the premises (under the guise of admiration, of
course), and what about follow-up to see if is recurring.  I know what
happened to us, so these are thoughts from bitter experience.

I believe my post to offer assistance has been passed along.  We aren't just
words.  We are here to help, too, since we know exactly what you are going
through.  We have some space.  I can do vaccinations and neuters here at our
shelter.  Or could vaccinate all the animals at one time at some agreed
location.  I don't know how far away we are, but only one State at the most.
We are in Colorado.  Tell us how we can help.

      Best Regards,
      Carolyn Kinsey
      Ferret Rescue of the Western States