From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 11:25:19 -0500
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    Roberto <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Kaopectate
>I need to know what is the dose I should administer to my ferret who has had
>some diarrhea for some days!

Dose: 1 milliliter orally four times daily.
Due to the anti-inflammtory action in peptobismol versus kaopectate and
peptobismol superiority in reducing Helicobacter induced symptoms, I
recommend trying pepto first (covers more).

>From:    Linda Gaylord <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Question about Parvo
>My daughter in Albuquerque recently bought a 6 week old ferret, so she now
>has 2 less than 3 months old.  She's scheduled to begin volunteer work at a

Nope, ferrets don't get canine parvovirus.

>From:    [log in to unmask]
>Subject: That "adrenal" smell
>From the FML a few days ago, was this post from [log in to unmask] (Ferret
>Rescue of Tidewater) concerning adrenals:

One cause of the musky smell to ferrets are the hormones testosterone and
estrogen.  Adrenal disease produces hormones very similar to these so there
can be a change in smell of an adrenal ferret.

>From:    Rebecca Katlin Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Vet question
>Last October, while traveling accross the country, Jitterbug got VERY sick.

The swollen vulva is a potential for adrenal disease, but I would consider
the diarrhea as a symptom of an intestinal inflammation.  See the answer
above for a starting place.

>From:    Sean Affleck <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ear mites and dizzyness
>I don't write often and usually only when I have questions.  My adult male
>ferret, Monzie is 4.5 yrs old.  We noticed over the summer that he had black
>stuff in his ears and felt they were ear mites.

Ear mites, in my experience, is a very uncommon cause of dirty ears.  By
themselves, ear mites cause an external ear infection that should lead to
dizzyness (an inner ear problem).  A more common cause is a bacterial or
yeast ear infection.

Most people mistake dirty ears for ear mites and purchase an over the
counter (OTC) ear mite medication that has no effect on bacteria or yeast.
A cytology by your vet should clarify things and correct medications
dispensed.  Bacterial external ear infections can lead to inner ear
infections which can cause dizzyness.  This is probably a rare occurrence.
More likely (especially with the rear limb weakness) some other cause of
dizzyness should be investigated.  Possibilities include: insulinoma,
systemic illness, heart disease.

>From:    Monica Maples <[log in to unmask]>
>Ok, it is my turn to ask for help from all the wonderful people here!  About
>two weeks ago, one of my boys (1 year old) started having these episodes of
>paroxysmal coughing/hacking.  After the standard obstruction treatment
>failed...

If it can be biopsied or even a needle aspirate, try to get that done to
confirm the diagnosis.  The odds are is that it is too small of an area to
get an instrument to.

The vet's recommendation of monitoring on steroids is a valid way to go
considering the size limitations and what occurs in that area (tumor versus
inflammation).

>From:    S Young <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Wobbler Syndrome?

I have not read of a case of wobbler's in ferrets.  If it is rear limb
weakness you are seeing in your ferret, consider insulinoma, chronic
inflammatory disease or heart disease.  In young ferrets, another
consideration is neural tube defect.

>From:    Lauren Grunbichler <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Sick Ferret
>About a week ago Cleo, our eldest started panting a lot and taking very
>shallow breaths.  She also became a bit lethargic.  We monitored her for a
>couple of days and as she was not behaving like her "old" self...

I would consider either dilated cardiomyopathy or thoracic lymphosarcoma as
the top choices.  Other diagnostics that could be done would include an
ultrasound of the chest.  Should differentiate between these two choices.

>From:    Jill Boston <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Questions about coughing and ECE
>HI!  I just had a few concerns about one of my ferrets and thought some of
>you might be able to give me some good advice.

I would put ECE low on the list and consider a more common intestinal
inflammtion (perhaps secondary to the cold?).  I routinely put these
generalized, non-descript cases on peptobismol and antibiotics and monitor.
As for the dry cough, I would think furballs or asthma as good possibilities.
I would try a hairball remedy and recommend the chest x-rays.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH, USA