From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 1997 18:49:30 -0500
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Sick Ferrets
>I have 2 separate situations related to sick ferrets:

The first one can be stress induced wither from the car ride or the new boy.
Try pepto- bismol (1 ml 3-4 times daily) and see if the stool firms up.

As for the other one with the protruding anus: if you feel it is sticking
out too far, I would have him seen by a vet and run a stool sample to check
for parasites like coccidia which can cause protruding anus.

>From:    Brad <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: sick ferret?
>Hello everyone.  I have a problem with my fuzzie Hobbes.  Lately he seems to
>be sleeping much more than usual.  I wouldn't say he is lathargic ...

Sure, sick ferrets can sleep more.  If everything else is normal, monitor
for now.  If you are really paranoid, have a vet check Hobbes out.

>From:    "Linda S. & RoseAnne W." <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: foot fungus.

This is a tough to answer without seeing the feathery stuff.  The other
possibility is something called hyperkeratinization - basically normal pad
material growing too fast without being worn down.  It can have a feathery
appearance but is stiff material.  Fungal feathery stuff is usually friable.
The treatment I use for hyperkeratinization on pads is a prescription
ointment called Kerasolv by DVM Pharmaceuticals.

>From:    Serra Cane <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: losing weight, and hair
>I was just wondering if someone has experienced this problem before, heard
>about it, or maybe could just ease my mind.

Both diabetes and hyperthyroid disease are extremely rare in ferrets.  As
for the hair loss, adrenal disease is a possibility but at 2 years old, she
is young to have this.  It might be a seasonal shedding.  Losing weight
(especially in the last week) may be stress from the new arrival.

>From:    pamela tetreault <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Colonitis
>I have a six month old female sable who is my baby!!  Two days a go she
>wasnt being her self, sleeping more than normal, not eating, not drinking.
>I let it go until in the middle of the night she woke me ...

Proliferative colitis can be in a young ferret.  A more likely cause is just
plain old stress and a secondary Helicobacter infection.  When presented
with a ferret who has intestinal signs and not "doing right", I routinely
treat them with amoxicillin antibiotics, peptobismol, and supplemental
feeding (if needed).  Most respond well.

>From:    Tim Kwasny <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Insulinoma - help
>I feel as if my heart is being ripped right out of my body.  Puck as been
>diagnosed with Insulinoma.  The dreaded word CANCER has us both scared.

Surgical removal of large tumors will improve the health of your ferret
short term.  Unfortunately, microscopic spread of the tumor causes
recurrence and this will be something you will need to manage medically at
some point.

>From:    Erin Hanson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: sick ferret?????
>I have two ferrets, one is about 1 year and the other is about 6 months.
>Lately I have noticed that the older ferret has been getting thinner.  I

Low grade chronic weight loss is quite common in ferrets and needs to
addressed primarily through aggressive nursing care.  Supplemental feedings
are needed now to reverse the= weight loss.  Causes can be stress,
helicobacter infections, etc.

>From:    William Chenoweth <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Question about castration

In cryptorchid (1 retained testicle) ferrets it is assumed that the retained
testicle is less functional than the normal testicle.  In those cases, the
ferret act just like they have both testicles.  That's the closest reference
I can give.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH, USA