From:
Richard and Katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Sep 1999 08:18:22 -0400
Allergies:
>Lisa & Sunshine <[log in to unmask]>
>#1: Has anyone heard that if you are allergic to cats then there is a
>pretty good chance that <you'll be allergic to ferrets?

I am VERY allergic to cats, especially long-hairs, unfortunately.  I've had
no problem with ferrets and I've had them over 6 years.  Just to make sure,
I went to a pet store and played with a ferret for an hour or so before I
bought my first one.

Polecats:
>William Killian - Zen and the Art of Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
>But you do have the same long tailed weasel that some in California
>confuse with polecats.  And yes we can see why.

Thanks Bill.  I am beginning to suspect these are weasels.  A couple of
other people suggested mink.  I think I'll have to go have a look for
myself.  BTW, you referred me to a website from my alma mater (UF)...small
world.

Rabies:
Never say Never.  Any warm-blooded mammal CAN get/carry the rabies virus,
though, in some it is extremely rare.  Squirrels CAN get/carry rabies.
Opossums CAN get/carry rabies (their lower body temperature normally
prevents it, but it CAN happen).  Raccoons and foxes can be carriers with
no outward symptoms.  That's why it's so important not to handle them
(raccoons & foxes) unless you have had preventive vaccinations.  Bats, of
course, can get rabies, and can go from sweet, docile little things to
vicious overnight.  Someone on one of my wildlife rehab lists recently
experienced this.  A bat she had raised from a pup became totally vicious,
bit her, and then was dead.  It was rabies positive.  Luckily, she had had
preventive shots and only had to get boosters (still several shots).

Katharine