From:
Richard and Katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 18:53:17 -0400
Amy Flemming <[log in to unmask]>
>Ferret kits that asperate make a rattling noise when they breath - and
>don't live too much longer.

One more thing about aspirating.  It is critical to put an animal on
antibiotics immediately if they aspirate.  They now have foreign matter in
their lungs.  You normally can hear a clicking sound when your hold their
body to your ear.  If you hear the clicking, definitely do antibiotics.
That means lung problems which can turn into pneumonia I keep unmixed
amoxicillin or clavamox on hand for my wildlife babies who aspirate (and,
believe me, many of them do).  With them, if the aspirating is going to
kill them, it's usually within a few minutes.

Your vet can give you the proper dosage.  I have learned to calculate drug
dosages for wildlife as small as 20-30g (less than 1 oz.).  The proper
dosage is critical.  Never guess at it.

Katharine