From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 1996 17:12:24 -0500
THE ADVICE DISPENSED BY MYSELF IN REFERENCE TO FML POSTINGS IS NOT MEANT TO
SUPPLANT THE ADVICE OF VETERINARIANS WHO ARE IN CHARGE OF THE PATIENT.  IF
THE PATIENT IS NOT CURRENTLY UNDER THE CARE OF A VETERINARIAN, THE CLIENT IS
RECOMMENDED TO TAKE THEIR FERRET TO ONE.

>From:    Bill Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Scooter, the drunken ferret
>Scooter, after surgery that revealed nothing, is still walking like he is
>drunk.  His adrenal glands were fine; his glucose levels are normal; CBC
>did not provide anything new.

Sounds like a central nervous disease with decreased neurological signs on
the front legs, bobbing and so forth. Beyond that, I do not have any
suggestions. Sorry.

>From:    "Roger J. Raak" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Teeth
>I have a question concerning the teeth of a ferret.
>It looks to me that the adult teeth came in and displaced his milk teeth
>immediately posterior.  The milk teeth seem to be solidly in

These baby teeth will probably fall out in time. I cannot remember the last
adult ferret I have seen with retained baby teeth

>From:    Michelle Lowe <[log in to unmask]>
>re: Support from you all...
>Hey, I'm enjoying the list, but haven't gotten anything back on my question
>Do you guys hate me because we lost our babies?  I was told everyone here
>was really helpful and would probably flood me with replies and condolences

I thought Dr. Williams answered this one.  Unfortunately we do not know how
long to wait for ECE to clear out of the environment.  If there are no
ferrets actively shedding the virus (they can shed virus in their stool for
4-6 months after resolution of symptoms), you can assume that 45-60 days
would allow any active virus in the environment to die off.  Make sure
everything that can be cleaned (blankets, toys, etc.) has been.  Washing
stuff with soap and allowing it to thoroughly air dry should do the trick.
[Moderator's note: Indeed, in FML 1449 - not even 2 weeks ago - Dr. Williams
did answer this question the best he could. BIG]

>From:    Dave++ Ljung <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Hair loss?
>My ferret Sagittarius is not doing so great...  She started shedding her
>fur (as did all my animals) a few weeks ago, but she hasn't stopped.

The two big things are: normal hair loss (winter hair loss) versus adrenal
gland disease. Other causes are possible but less common.

>From:    Roland Dudley <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Excessive itching & orange-brown spots
>Over the past few days my daughter has noticed that her ferret Jezebella
>seems to be far itchier than usual.  She scratches almost constantly and is
>losing the fur in the shoulders area and down her legs where her harness

Flea bite allergies (or flea allergy dermatitis - FAD) can occur in ferrets
and when you have an itchy ferret with fleas, consider FAD as the sole or
majority cause.

Flea control in ferrets include:
- Treat the environment - use kitten safe products. Treat the house when you
  and all the pets will be gone for awhile.
- Treat the pet - I like the kitten safe flea mousse to immediately knock
  down the flea population and then use the PROGRAM medication by Ciby
  (check with you vet - use the cat dosing).  Kitten safe flea shampoos work
  well also but frquent bathing (flea baths have no residual effect) can
  lead to an increase in the musky odor.

For dry skin, food supplements can help. I have used DermCaps liquid by DVM
Pharmaceuticals and have had fair to good success.

>Asking BIG's pet peeve:
>Can anybody cite where chocolate is toxic to ferrets?

Chocolate allergies in dogs and cats are secondary to an inappropriate
reaction (like a bee sting reaction affects only some people) to theobromide
in the chocolate.  Some chocolate (such as baking chocolate) has a higher
percentage of theobromide.  Chocolate toxicity does not need to be dose
dependent so studies showing a toxic levels might not be accurate.  I could
not find a reference concerning chocolate toxicity and ferrets.  Perhaps the
National Poison Center would have some information (1-900-680-000 - $20 base
+ $2 per minute charges).

>From:    Aaron McAlpine <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Lysodren???
>>We have questions about Lysodryn.

Surgery or Lysodren?  There is probably not going to be agreement on the
best protocol for hyper adrenal disease for some time.  Surgery works well
in my hands but technique and experience plays a big part in any surgery.  I
have talked to vets who treat ferrets who think Lysodren does not work at
all well and others who think it s great.  This variation might be related
to some as-yet-unknown difference between hyper adrenal diseases (such as
why some females only get swollen vulvas, others hair loss and some both?)
The dosing and frequency are correct for an approximately 2.7 pound ferret.
There are some side effects.  From your description my biggest concern is
some bleeding disorder that would be causing the bruising.  This is not a
side effect reported in human literature although hemorrhagic cystitis is
mentioned.  I would talk to your vet about the possibility of
thrombocytopenia .  Have you done damage?  Probably not.  The biggest
problem I run into is that the adrenal glands shrink on Lysodren and makes
it next to impossible to find them surgically.  I usually have the ferrets
off of Lysodren for 8 weeks before surgery.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH.