From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 1995 18:27:00 -0500
Boy, a lot of things happen when your FML mail piles up.

1.  >I have two ferrets with what seems to be very soft stool.  Their
>samples checked out ok for whatever the normal screen is for.  Dr. Brown
>on AOL said she had heard from a vet in MI that she had seen quite a bit
>of giardia here.

Recent studies in dogs have shown that fenbendazole is more effective in
treating Giardia than the traditional metronidazole. I use the cat dose of
Panacur suspension for three days in a row, then repeat in two weeks.

2. Sorry to hear about Buddy's passing.

3. Fluid therapy. I totally agree with the moderator about having specific
fluids for specific conditions. For example, the amount of dextrose (a.k.a.
sugar) in fluids is for the most part insignificant and does not meet the
caloric needs for an ill or healthy pet.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
603 529-4999
Weare Animal Hospital