From:
Duck lite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 1997 08:25:39 EST
Kat asked about flying ferrets... I will let someone like Jeanne, Marie or
Pat answer the part about taking ferrets OUT of CA, as I do not want to give
incorrect info.  I do know about taking them on planes, however it is a tad
stickier when you are flying internationally.  First, you will likely need
to fly the ferret as cargo.  I am not aware of ANY carrier who will accept
them as carry-on or even checked luggage on an international flight.

Assuming that you will need to fly from CA to an Eastern airport, and then
change flights to the Netherlands, I would check into Delta (I believe they
are a KLM partner) as a carrier for the domestic portion of your flight.
There you should be able to take the fuzzy in the cabin with you.  I would
attempt to arrange to fly into NYC or Boston (depending on the carrier) a
day before departing for Europe.  That way your fuzzy will be able to spend
time out of the carrier in between flights in your hotel room.  It would
certainly be less stressfull to both of you.  You may want to consider the
possibility of leaving him in that bathroom for the night rather than the
small carrier in the hotel room.  Bathrooms are generally easily ferret
proofed, as long as they can't get under the door.

You will need an International Health Certificate issued by the vet no more
than ten days prior to commencing travel.  Make sure the vet realizes that
it is an INTERNATIONAL flight.

Back to the cargo part.  My advice is to use two carriers if you will be
carrying the ferret on during the first leg, it will have to fit under the
seat.  You may want to invest in a collapsible sherpa bag for this.  After
that, switch to a medium sized carrier that will be large enough to fit a
litter pan.  Carry enough bedding to make at least one complete change
during travel- another reason that newspaper is a great bedding material-
you can always chuck it and buy more whereever you are for very little
money.  E-mail me privately if you want info on how to padlock a cage, etc.
Put lots of newspaper on the bottom as insulation, and string up a hammock
and include a thinsulate blanket or sleepy sack.  You can not use
waterbottles- first, nothing can be hung on the outside of the cage,
secondly, the vibration would cause them to drip and make a mess.  Invest in
two deep crok-loks, one for food, one for water.  Only fill the water one
halfway.

On International flights, you need to be to the airport two hours in
advance, which means that the ferret will need to be checked into air cargo-
a different building on the airport grounds three hours in advance- some
carriers require four hours.  So it could be 10-14 or more hours before you
and the ferret clear customs and are reunited.  If it were me...and PLEASE
SPEAK TO YOUR VET ABOUT THIS... I would have my vet teach me how to do
sub-cu fluids, and I would sub-cu my fuzzy with fluids at air cargo just
before handing him over.  (Make sure the vet gives you a prescription for
the syringe and needles!!!) That way you know that even if the water is all
spilled out of the crok-lok he won't dehydrate.  You can also speak to the
vet about a sedative, but there is concern about sedated animals not being
able to thermoregulate, and you won't be around to help.  In most cases,
ferrets do just fine in airplanes- to them it is the same as a car ride.

One other thing to find out about- certain carriers will not take on live
animals as cargo during winter months.  You will need to have a cargo
reservation in advance.  Make sure to check, double check and triple check
EVERYTHING you are told, and write down ALL names and numbers of everyone
you talk to.  Try and get it in writing from THEM!

I would also call the Dutch Consulate in NYC or Washington and inquire about
any laws that they have there regarding quarantine, licesnsing, and general
legality of ferrets.

Best of luck!

-Anne