From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 1997 07:54:26 -0500
A response to the Killians-

I never said my hobs in rut were "... mean ...".  I will elaborate in case
you misinterpreted my meaning- My Aussie gets more territorial of his cage,
and while he is fine outside of the cage, he does not want me entering "his
domain".  So be it- I let him out for playtime, then take care of the litter
pan and feeding.  He does not bite, and gives kisses when out of the cage.
I dont know how you can translate this into an "abberation".  The other
treats me as if I was his Jill- grabbing at my legs/hands/etc.  and trying
to pull me off with him.  Hardly "mean" behavior- I am flattered that he
feels highly enough of me to want me for his mate.  He does not do this to
any other person.  He is one of the most mellow, relaxed ferrets you would
ever meet.

Perhaps you missed my point, that not all hobs in rut (or hobs, or jills, or
any other types of ferrets) are mushes.   Some ferrets are gentle and loving,
but don't like to be handled particularly.  They are too busy participating
in whatever mission they are on.

I am deeply offended by your implication that I am irresponsible with my
hobs, that I breed hobs with temperment problems, and that I mistreat my
hobs in any way.  This is about as far from the truth as it gets.  I
strongly beleive that breeding needs to be done for temperment, then health,
then everything else.  I am assuming you are including body conformation
under what I would call health.

As far as this being the wrong season, you have already addressed the
Aussie, two of the others are going out, and yes, putting on winter weight
at the same time, and the last is not my ferret.  I am caring for him while
his owner deals with a family crisis out of the country.  He was bred this
summer, and has not yet come out of rut.  I suspect that the upheaval in his
life being away from his family may have something to do with this.
However, it is not up to me to make a decision about getting him nuetered,
and I can not currently contact his owner.

-Anne