From:
dayna frazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 1997 22:04:31 -0500
Hi Ed...

Do you naturally use terminology that makes people angry or is it an
affectation you use on the fml.  really Ed.. sissy ferrets?  real ferrets?
You are the only individual I have ever heard use such terms when refering
to ferrets of any kind.

The fml may have a preponderance of postings dealing with ferrets in some
measure ill in some way.  And some of those posts may deal with ferrets who
have gone beyond the veil that exists between this plane of existence and
the one that holds the spirit of the ferret only.  But after reading this
list for years your the only one I have ever seen post anything that appears
to criticise that practice.  This list has been of immeasurable aid to
hundreds of ferret people who have brought their problems and joys and
griefs to a place where there exists a unique and caring group of people who
can and will offer help, understanding, and caring and are consistently
supportive of other ferret people no matter their walk of life, their
ferrets condition, or their degree of need.  I call that a public service
done by a caring Moderator who recieves nothing in return for his daily work
but the undying gratitute of the subscribers of this list to whom he gives
so generously.

You go on to make it plain that you feel the elaborate housing, the endless
clever ways to entertain, the extensively researched food, the first quality
verinary care, and the huge amounts of personal time these subscribers
devote to their ferrets is abnormal.  That, perhaps I have misread you here
and if so I apologise, these ferrets would be better off housed out in the
elements, in plain, deadly dull housing, with some sort of 'natural' food
and given little or no attention would be far superior and enjoy longer
lives.  I suggest you take that one up with the shelter people who rescued
and had treated, and then went to endless pains to place the pathetic
survivors [via the ferret volunteer delivery corp.] all over the nation in
the homes of these 'abnormal' ferret lovers.  Those ferrets didn't need to
be concerned with long life they were too busy fighting to stay alive at
all!

What are 'we' doing wrong? you ask..  well, Ed, my ferrets live a very long
time.  Unless, of course they are abused or starved or otherwise mangled
before I get them.  And even then, they get a good shot at health and long
life..  How long is 'normal' to you?  Five years?  Eight years? How about
10 years?  My Tiba was 16 years and three moths to the day when she died
because her heart walls were so thin they all failed at once.. and she died
snuggled up to me and in her sleep.  I have since heard from a 'lady', one
of those you mentioned in such a dreogatory way, who had one of her ferrets
live to 17 years of age.. and from several others whose ferrets lived from
11 to 14 years before they too died naturally in their sleep.  I have had
many live to in excess of ten years of age.  And those all had indoor homes
and food tailored for ferrets and every entertainment I could devise.  They
only went outside when THEY chose to do so.  We enjoyed many outings in
suitable weather.  Controlled outings, in a safe and sane manner, which
included harnesses and leashes when out of the man made outdoor play area I
created for them.  In other words they led carefully constrained lives
'artificial' in all ways.  I have recently seen postings from people with 8
plus years old ferrets,and even older ones than that.

A vast majority of these ferrets were the ones you call 'butchered'.  I
venture you don't use that term with your human, surgically altered, friends
who wish no further children to be born.  We have all seen what uncontrolled
birth has done to the poulation of dogs and cats.  And many of us have seen
all too clearly how that wretched overpopulation created by irresponsible
humans could easily be repeated with the domestic ferret.  Of course it is
lamentable that some breeders choose to alter ferret kits at a very young
age.  Some of the people on this list are even now working toward correcting
that practice.  But trading one evil for the other is not a desireable
alternative!

The world is full of those who love to criticise and do little else.  If you
have constructive suggestions by all means offer them.  But if all you can
do is denigrate this list and those who subscribe to it, then for pity sake
be silent!

I, for one, value this list the majority of the people who gather here.

FWIW..  IMHO...

dayna and the woozles of the MMOMM rescue/shelter