From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2007 13:43:34 -0500
I guess I was just assuming people know; with Addison's the
Fludrocort/Florinef or Percorten is used in conjunction with
a steroid like Prednisolone.

The Prednisolone helps with fluid regulation. The Percorten or
Fludrocort/Florinef helps with maintaining proper electrolyte
levels and balance (essential for life).

---

Jeff, you will find some past FHL posts on that approach. I think that
one of Katherine's vets used later stage insulinoma surgery pretty
often.

Also:
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/PDF/insulinoma.pdf

and (I can't search now but you can work forward from this earlier
notation.):

> Weiss CA, Williams BH, Scott MV.
> Related Articles, Links
>
> Insulinoma in the ferret: clinical findings and treatment
> comparison of 66 cases.
> J Am Anim Hosp Assoc. 1998 Nov-Dec;34(6):471-5.
> PMID: 9826281 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
>
>Hopefully, this will give you a direct link:
>
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/query.fcgi?field=UID&db=PubMed&term=9826281
>
>Otherwise, search the way that I did.

It did not show the full article but if you select the text icon you
will get:

>The clinical signs and surgical findings were reported for 66 ferrets
>with insulinomas confirmed histologically. All of the ferrets were
>treated with one of three modalities, and disease- free intervals
>and survival times were gathered to determine the most effective
>treatment. The three treatment groups included 10 ferrets treated
>medically, 27 ferrets treated with pancreatic nodulectomy, and 29
>ferrets treated with pancreatic nodulectomy combined with a partial
>pancreatectomy. The mean disease-free intervals for each group were
>22, 234, and 365 days, respectively. The mean survival times for each
>group were 186, 456, and 668 days, respectively. Based upon the data,
>recommendations were made for treating insulinoma in the ferret.
>
>PMID: 9826281 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Sukie (not a vet)
Current FHL address:
People can join there or can send a blank mail to the automated
joining address:
and then follow the directions.
(The second is recommended for those having problems with Yahoogroups
web settings, and afterward send a blank mail from your subscribed
address to
to get the digest instead of individual mails. )
Recommended ferret health links: