From:
kat parsons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 06:09:18 -0700
(name withheld because i don't know if she wants it revealed...:)
...i just wanted to reply to some of this for everyone to see...:)
Just for the record..this letter to me was NOT a flame..it was very
nice...but it did bring up some stuff i wanted to reply to...
thanks, M...:)...HUGS!!!)

>I can't believe this the first time I get to write to the great Kat <g>
>Hope all is well in your neck of the woods!

 :)...all is great here...thanks...:)[a little thrown by the "the great
Kat" though...:) ]

>I have to say, I agree completely with Susan.  This is not to mean that
>you or others that can't afford to buy the ferret will not take care of it
>- but I never encourage people to put a free to good home ad in the paper.
>You would not believe the kind of people that come out of the woodwork
>because it's "free" - or call the shelter because "the petstore told me I
>could get it cheaper from the shelter".  Unfortunately, there are way too
>many of this kind of person :-(

i am one that the ferret chooses, usually...so this does not always come
into play...BUT!...when i DO spend money...i try to get the best deal for
my money...

some people have lots of money to spend...but very little compassion for
what they buy...sometimes the more you have...the more you waste...it is
replaceable...they think..."why bother to put good money after bad..."
...this is a generalization too...and i know it is not fair to those who DO
have the $$ and DO take their responsibilities seriously...but some rich
people DO say..."just replace it..."...they can afford it...

>I always encourage people to put a price on their pet to weed out those
>types of fruitcakes.

you can do that with an interview too...with an open mind...and possibly
find homes for a few more ferrets that are in shelters... i would venture
to say that if i went to a shelter where i was not known...and wanted to
adopt a ferret...i would be turned down...i can not SHOW that i can support
a ferret...but i FIND what i need when i need to... they do not lack for
medical care or love or good food or play time...i have an advantage over
lots of people...i don't work...but in adopting, that means less income to
take care of the ferrets...so it might be looked at as a drawback...

i KNOW there are a lot of people without my commitment to my ferrets...BUT,
on the other hand...maybe some great ferret mommy's and daddy's are being
overlooked..or dismissed out of hand...because they do not have extra cash
laying around... i do not envy you your job...i KNOW i could not run a
shelter...and i would trust too many people, i guess... like i said...i
have been told i live in a dream world...

>I understand not being able to afford the purchase price, but I would
>rather err on the side of caution in this type of situation.

i understand a shelter having to feel this way...you see the worst of
people too often...and these poor little ones pay the price...but some of
us CAN give them a good, healthy, happy, loving, PERMANENT home!!!!...we
really CAN!!!...if given the chance...

>Good post, though. Too bad more people can't disagree in such a great
>way

thanks...i don't really disagree...completely...i see both sides...i just
feel that discounting those of us without excess $$ is also doing a
dis-service to the ferrets that need homes...i really can not believe i am
alone in my situation...there have to be lots of people out there with
little money, but with big generous hearts...

thanks, M., for responding to me in a kind and responsible manner...i hope
you don't mind me responding to this on the fml...i think we BOTH had some
valid things to share...:)

HUGS!!!
kat

=====
KITY=^..^=KAT... ( a.k.a. ...FuzzieMom ) and the krew...
Rascal, Sassy, Wolfie, Monkey(Shine), Meeja, Narmy, PopPye, Noodles (Slyk),
Sandi-Mandi, Hope-HollyHeart, Edison!, Lucky, Princess...and Uh-Oh!!!!!
Missing pieces of my heart...Marcel, LittleWhiteGirl, OldGuy
The Ferrets' Pages... http://www.geocities.com/ferretlover97