From:
kat parsons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 06:32:59 -0700
[sent to FurTulsa <[log in to unmask]> and the FML]

>From:    FurTulsa <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Price on Selling Ferrets
>I totally disagree, for the ferrets sake.  It is pretty much considered
>common knowledge that advertising a free animal is just asking for
>trouble.
>TYPICALLY speaking, the type of person who will go out of their way to
>look for the cheapest or free pet will also not be willing to spend the
>money for quality food, supplies, vet care etc... since the animal was
>free it is seen as disposable.

i am sorry...but i resent this...

i realize this is a generalization...but just because some of us can not
necessarily afford a large 'fee' to GET a ferret...does NOT mean we do
not take the welfare and care and love of/for that ferret seriously...

i can not afford the initial outlay to buy ferrets all the time...[i have
found the $$ on occasion]...but i don't feel my ferrets are neglected for
it...they get the best food i know of...when one needs medical attention,
i get it for them...and most of all...whether the ferret cost me $150.00
or $0.00... i love it just the same...and would give my life for it...
sometimes i DO have to ask about price...that does NOT make me an
irresponsible ferret person...just a realistic one..if i paid $150.00 for a
ferret unnecessarily...that would be money wasted that could go to the CARE
of that..or any of my other ferrets...

i realize i may be out of the norm...but i know there are many more people
out there that may be without the initial funds 'required' to get a
ferret...but that does not mean that person would just give up that ferret
if it needed extra care...

>As a shelter, you would be sickened to know how many times a sick ferret
>is turned in with comments such as "well I got it for free from an ad so
>why should I spend $300 now when I can get another cheap one?"

i think this is terrible...i hope there really are not that many people
that feel like that...i have been told i live in a dream world...if so...
i want to stay here...:)

>I discourage people to advertise a free or cheap pet.  If someone is
>willing to take on the responsibility of a pet they should be ready and
>willing to pay a fair price.

sometimes that "fair price" is love and care...

i am not saying what you are saying is wrong...i am sure many times it is
right on...but, there are those of us that are committed to the ferrets we
take in...we love them and care for them and take care of them...i am a
GOOD ferret mommy...and my husband is a GOOD ferret daddy...but sometimes
the first words out of my mouth is... "i can't afford to BUY him"...

i do not mean this a s a "flame"...just another side of the coin...

kat

p.s...boy i hope i am not sticking my neck out again...i HATE it when my
head gets chopped off!!!...:)

=====
KITY=^..^=KAT... ( a.k.a. ...FuzzieMom ) and the krew...
Rascal, Sassy, Wolfie, Monkey(Shine), Meeja, Narmy, PopPye, Noodles (Slyk),
Sandi-Mandi, Hope-HollyHeart, Edison!, Lucky, Princess...and Uh-Oh!!!!!
Missing pieces of my heart...Marcel, LittleWhiteGirl, OldGuy
The Ferrets' Pages... http://www.geocities.com/ferretlover97