Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 2004 05:02:58 -0400
>From:    Shelley Abare <[log in to unmask]>
>
>From what I've read about the symptoms of insuloma, and the treatment
>for same (Kayo syrup on the gums) it sounds a lot like human diabetes.
>How similar are these two diseases?  Do ferrets get diabetes?  Has
>anyone ever tried insuline to control insuloma?  My guys are getting
>up in ag,e 2-7 years old.  I want to find out as much as I can on the
>latest/most effective treatments for my babies.

Diabetes and insulinoma are totally opposite diseases.  Diabetes
essentially is abnormally high blood sugar, and insulinoma is abnormally
low blood sugar caused by a tumor of the insulin secreting cells of the
pancreas.  Ferrets *can* get diabetes, but the disease is pretty rare.

Insulin would not be an effective medication in treating an insulinoma;
the hormone lowers blood glucose, and with an insulinoma that would be
deadly.

I have been treating one of my boys successfully for an insulinoma with
prednisone pills, diazoxide (Proglycem) and Purina DM cat food.  (The
food is actually advertised for diabetic cats, but can be used in
insulinoma ferrets as it is produced to regulate blood sugar.)  When my
ferret was first diagnosed with insulinoma this past February, his blood
glucose was 26 mg/dl.  I checked it again about a month ago, and it was
106 mg/dl...

Good luck,
monica & the SC zoo