From:
Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 14:10:41 -0800
>From:    Ela <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Colloidal silver

I had hoped the debate was winding down.  Apparently not, in fact now it
got personal.  Too bad.

>Well, I have posted the evidence that I had on colloidal silver, and they
>speak for themselves.  I have no desire to speak against Mr. Killian's
>specious arguments on this point, as they have no merit.  Since I have in
>the past had problems with other erroneous information he has posted to
>the FML about SOS, etc., I avoid debating with him.

It is a shame that you reduced a debate that has heretofore been about the
merits of the documentary evidence for or against the use of colloidal
silver to a flame by claiming my information erroneous because you don't
want to deal fully with a different matter.

You have not cited any docmentary evidence that can be seen by any of us.
I have cited the FDA, the EPA, and nearly every organization you make
unsubstantiated claims about to disprove your uncited cited sources.

You shouldn't call me a 'liar' because you don't like with what I cite.

>My information stands on its own merits; if anyone cares to do background
>checks on it, please do so, and I'm sure you will see the veracity of the
>sources I have posted.

I did research your information.  I even cite web urls.  In my opinion it
has not checked out at all.

>In regards to the person who said that "silver should not be part of the
>body system", it might interest you to know that silver does, in fact,
>NATURALLY exist in the body (in trace amounts).

Nearly all elements end up in our bodies in trace amounts.  That doesn't
mean it actually serves a useful purpose or that drastically increasing
the amounts will not prove harmful or even deadly.

Chlorine is very poisonous, deadly poisonous, to humans but a small amount
is needed in the form of sodium chloride for normal functioning.  Adding
more chlorine in a different form is typically dangerous.  Chlorine like
some silver compounds other than colloidal silver is involved in water
purification but it is still quite poisonous to us.

>Also, silver has been traditionally used by dentists to fill dental
>fillings, and in the delivery room (they put it in the eyes of newborns
>to prevent infections.

The now somewhat controversial use of silver nitrate as a topical
application does not support the use of colloidal silver.  Topical uses
are not at all the same as internal uses.

>I think this is one of the problems with the FDA's broad exemption for
>colloidal silver and grandfathering of it, actually.  This is also the
>reason I very carefully outlined the guidelines for what you SHOULD be
>using in a colloidal silver product, and recommended the Silver Wings
>brand (and similar reputable brands), since Gary Holwicki and others have
>been using that brand in ferrets for quite awhile now without incident.

You are mistaken.  The FDA's grandfathered exemption does NOT allow the
promotion of colloidal silver for use in ferrets.  That is quite dangerous
and in fact illegal.  You are unfortunately for you treading dangerous
waters.

http://www.fda.gov/cvm/fda/infores/updates/silver.html

        Promoting the use of colloidal silver for treating animal
        diseases causes such products to be misbranded veterinary
        drugs under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (the Act).
        Labeling colloidal silver products to treat animals causes such
        products to be new animal drugs which are adulterated under
        the Act.

        FDA has taken action against colloidal silver products, and is
        continuing to investigate the promotion and use of colloidal
        silver products in dairy and other animals. If necessary, FDA
        will take further appropriate regulatory action.

There is NO proven safety factor in any brand whether highly espoused by
those with anecdotal evidence or not is ANY safer than any other.  That
is marketting hype.  Colloidal silver peddlars have not put their products
into any testing situation because they are fearful that their products
will not pass the tests.  They divert that genuine concern that potential
customers should have by citing none facts such as those about proper
dosage and element sizing.  I would be extremely surprised to find that any
manfacturer including your cited Silver Wings has the necessary technology
to accurately gauge that their product even matches the specifications they
give.  These are not medical manufacturing plants along the lines of Merck
or Bayer.  They are not state of the art manfuacturing plants with quality
control departments that are actively measuring the micron sized particals.
There are not reputable brands as much as less disreputable.

-bill

--
bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets