From:
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 10:55:28 -0700
>From:    Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret in heat
>By their third day in heat they were taken to the vet where they
>unfortunately couldn't be saved; one died during surgery and the other had
>to be put down.

Its a good thing to explain aplastic anemia.  But jills are not dying by
their third day in estrus.  Most breeders let them have about a week in
estrus before breeding them.  Its about the third MONTH in estrus you have
where you can't save them.

They don't hemorrage from being in estrus.  Bleeding is a sign of an
infection which is not aplastic anemia.  A ferret with the anemia is
running out of blood because she isn;t making it correctly while in estrus.

>From:    "Andrew W.Gould" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: sawdust/vacination
>Have any of you been told why the 8, 12, 16 routine, or is it a hang over
>from cats and dogs.

The explanation from Dr. Curlee of United Vaccine - makers of Fervac-D.

Sometimes a ferret kit will retain immunities from their mother until they
are about 11 weeks old and sometimes they don't.  If they do and you give
them the shot it won't cause more antibodies to be produced.  If they don't
and you don't give them the shot then they are at risk.

The 11 and 14 (based on United recommendations instead of 12 and 16 but its
close to the same) are really expected to be the important ones.

>From:    Shellie Sorensen <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: newbie to this place
>question: what is the highest temperature a ferret should be exposed to?

Reduce exposure to temperatures over the mid eighties.  Some exposure will
not kill them but they don't sweat so well.

>From:    Steve and Diane Bodofsky <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Looking for older ferret
>I got a call last night from a couple looking for an older (5-6 year old),
>healthy ferret to adopt or foster.

We're a bit further south in Virginia and have some in the 4 year old range
if that helps...

>From:    Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Bob C Back

Only public becasue we really enjoy company and want to let others on the
list know they're welcome as well but unfortunately we get busy and need
more than a day or two notice - sorry Melissa <pout>

We're in the process of moving from Dale City to the Winchester area.
Somewhat close to DC.  If you wanna meet some strange foreign ferrets let us
know.  Gonna be a slow move - we already have the new house but aren't going
to finish the move until the kids are done school for the year.

We can offer a place to sleep for at least part of the time but heck you
might go to sleep in Dale City and wake up in Mountain Falls.  <grin>

Oh and the BFF breeding program is supposed to be at Front Royal as part of
the National Zoo which is part of the Smithsonian.  Front Royal is some ten
miles I guess from the new house.  Not sure if does us any good though.

I imagine you've seen polecats but I know steppe and half and quarter
European around here.

Oh and Bob, we can have a longest pony tail contest <grin>

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]