From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:43:10 EST
> Since that has been mentioned for years I hope more sites catch up.

 --- I have tons of documents on file that are very up to date on the
Deaf Ferrets egroup at Yahoo.  One can access that archive at
deaf_ferrets at yahoogroups.  I can't remember if I have it set up so
that the general public can access those files or if you have to join.
If you must join, you can opt to not have messages sent to you at all.
You will be able to read posts and have full access to the site however.
There are things written by Brett Middlton, Leigh Whittaker, you (Sukie)
and I forget who else on file there.

Now if I can only put an adjunct page up to my deaf ferret site based on
all of that info, I'd be happy.  I wish I could have done so FOUR years
ago.  I was offered help to at least update the out of date text on my
deaf ferrets page.  I don't know how to do websites off of yahoo, so I
can't fix it myself.  As far as taking up someones offer of help, I just
have to not be so shy is all.  I need to knock out the words WS on the
site, substitute it for Neural Crest, then just list the common disorders
under the NC (WS, KIT, etc, and associated affected genes).  At least it
would be more accurate.  Scooby?  If you are reading this, can you help
me?  I need someone to help.  All I'd be doing is changing the text.
Maybe I'd be less embarrassed to accept that help now.

>That's not good news, actually.  Oncogenes can increase the malignancy
>risk for an individual.  There are other risks as well.

 --- And lifespan seems a bit shortened for the most part.  But
anedoctally, I've noticed that malignancy rates sure aren't what I'd
expect in affected ferrets in light of that.  I mean that's how I
percieve things.  I am just not seeing a super high cancer rate in them
like I'd expect.  Thoughts?  Opionions?

>This is why there is a higher rate of certain cardiovascular problems,
>including both cardiomyopathy types, but especially the harder to find
>(before death) hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.(You can find some articles on
>this in the archives of Ferret-Genetics in Yahoogroups and elsewhere.)

 --- Really?  I wasn't noticing.  I guess I need to pay attention more
in the genetics group lol.  I sure never thought to ask about
cardiomyopathies related in my old deaf ferrets survey that I put up.
However, out of the 500 responses, I don't remember that being a cause
of death for the most part.

>Some of these circulatory problems result in small litters due to
>reabsorbed dead fetuses, or litters with a number of members who die
>soon after birth due to increasing the circulatory malformation fetal
>death rate.  There can also be a higher newborn death rate due to deaf
>ferret mothers not getting all of the signals they need for rapid and
>correct responses.  Multiple breeders have discussed encountering these
>problems, and there is a lot in the literature on this in an assortment
>of mammals.

 --- Yeah, a ton of literature.  I strongly suspect cardiac defect is far
more common than what we think.  I think that maybe cardiac malformations
are so gross that there is fetus absorption, still births, and high kit
mortality due to this very thing (as you just said).  Of course, there
are developmental defects overall, so I could be wrong.  But in kits that
just die suddenly, there seems to be nothing obviously wrong at times.  A
cardiac problem would be very hard to detect in a necropsy.  Most of the
time there is never a necropsy anyway.

>BTW, I have found myself wondering after many discussions if knee
>patches may at times have a different genetic cause.

 --- Why?  Due to the fact that it can occur without other (or many
other) white depigmentation?  I think the reason that I suspect that
they are part of some sort of neural crest disorder is because I've never
seen them before as a kid.  Neural Crest disorders and odd white markings
... well, I never saw them once as a small child.  Also, in the past ten
years, they seem to be present on so many ferrets ... and the rate seems
to parrallel the rate of obvious kit/ws markings that I see (and rarely
do you ever see them seperate from other white markings).  I'm really
starting to think that the little patches, and such are a washed out
versian of a neural crest defect.  In other words, I think the gene pool
is polluted ... sadly.  I think there is so much of the gene pool
affected from large farms and overzealous small breeders aiming towards
fancies that even though they are trying not to purposefully breed for
them now, it has bled over into many lines.

Wolfy
http://wolfysluv.jacksnet.com